What's new
What's new

Making a back plate for my D1-4 cam-lock

Bellaru433

Aluminum
I need to adapt a D1-4 cam-lock to the back of my 8" 4 jaw chuck...I have a couple camlock back plates that are 6 inches in diameter and I am wondering if I can use one of those to mount on the back of an 8 inch chuck or does it have to be the same diameter...
Also how precise does this have to be considering it's a four jaw and the part to be turned will be dialed in With indicators anyways... I was just going to install some transfer screws in the holes in the back of the chuck and line up the back plate to the center of the chuck the best I can and then smack it and drill it that way... The holes don't go through the chuck all the way so I can't use Transfer punches so I have to use the transfer screws... I have a Bridgeport with a DRO but I am afraid I'll mess it up if I try to indicate the holes in the back of the I have a Bridgeport with a DRO but I am afraid I'll mess it up if I try to indicate the holes in the back of the chuck and then take it back to Center and remove it and then install the back plate and then drill them that way.. that's just too much going on for me being the inexperienced home machinist that I am... I would rather just buy one ready to go,, it's an import Chuck with the brand name CME but I can't find it anywhere on their website where they have a D1-4 cam-lock back plate ready to be installed,, they have the regular back plates that screw onto the spindle but the Cam-lock back plates they have available are blank and need to be drilled,,,
I called over there and nobody has been answering in the last week that I've been trying to get a hold of them to assist me in this,, so it looks that I'm just going to have to step up and handle it myself like a pro would do..😳..
any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thank you...

It makes no difference. The goal is to bolt the chuck to a D1-4" back plate. If the ones you have allow that you are set - assuming you don't actually expect widely diverse bolt holes and tapped holes to somehow magically line up - that is an issue YOU take care of

I have a couple camlock back plates that are 6 inches in diameter and I am wondering if I can use one of those to mount on the back

have fun

There are ALSO adapters to do this - right after you make one:D

And along those lines, this might provide some ideas - it involved making an adapter from the back of a chuck to the front of a Dividing Head spindle nose

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/shop-built-adjust-true-86789/?highlight=home

good luck

Last edited:
What does the back of the 4 jaw chuck look like? Is there a register or counterbored area? If so carefully mount the D4 adapter and machine it so that it is a snug fit to the register. Make sure you machine any surfaces such as the front of the adapter if they will be pulled tight to the chuck. Don't count on the D4 adapter to run perfectly true.
Hanging a heavy 8" 4 jaw chuck on the front of an adapter supported only by the bolts is an invitation for disaster. The register is very important and any chuck I have mounted in the past always had one. You don't want a small accident to shear the bolts at 500 or more RPM's and wind up wearing that chuck.
Safety first!
Show us pictures of the back of the chuck.

Mr Bridgeport

Just like what MR Bridgeport said. There is usually a small register on the back of the chuck. think of a small counterbore sometimes only 1/8" deep. I have an old skinner 4 jaw chuck that is 8" diameter and the counter bore is 5" I think. therefore I was able to get away with a small back plate.
The three main goals for machining your own back plate are:
1: get the chuck tight and concentric to the back plate via counterbore on the back of the chuck.
2: Face the back plate true to the spindle axis of the lathe.
3: Drill bolt holes to secure the chuck to the back plate.

After you get going with this it is quite easy, and just like most other things after you do one the next you could do in your sleep.
One other word of advice is to get a good carbide tool for turning the cast iron back plates and cover up your lathe. I ended up buying some dedicated "cast iron" indexable bits off mcmaster carr or turning the back plate. Some back plates are mace of dirty cast that will ruin cutters quickly!

Thank you.. thanks to everyone..
I now know what you mean regarding it seating properly in the register so it's not just bolted on...👍

Back