What's new
What's new

Measurement request: 10L tailstock base thickness

jwearing

Hot Rolled
Can someone with a not-too-worn heavy 10 please measure the thickness of the tailstock base, as shown?

Obviously this will vary from machine to machine, however I would like to get a general idea because my part seems to have been modified, it has non-original looking milling marks. This was a turret machine so I think the tailstock was from another machine.

IMG_1026.jpg

looks like original milling marks to me.

no reason for those surfaces to be finished any further.
felt goes in the step, and a cover goes across all of it.

Really you think this is original?

IMG_1027 2.jpg

It sits about .012" low, after I scrape it in maybe .015". I have to scrape in the headstock too, and I'm trying to decide whether to shim the tailstock or to remove material from the headstock as Connelly suggests. 0.015" seems like a lot more than I want to remove.

Edit: Also there only appears to be one or two thou of wear on the slides. So .012 low seems excessive - although like I said it's probably from a different machine, so who knows.

My 10L base is 0.993 thick at that spot. Ground surfaces are only on the part that touches the tailstock not the raised sections that guide the lateral movement or adjustment.

My 10L base is 0.993 thick at that spot. Ground surfaces are only on the part that touches the tailstock not the raised sections that guide the lateral movement or adjustment.

Thank you. Do you happen to mean 0.893? Mine is 0.885, I was expecting a small difference but 0.100+ is surprising.

I am scraping the lathe, the headstock needs to be fooled with one way or another. The question is whether it's just alignment or also lowering the whole thing. But I don't want to drop it to the height of the tailstock, if the tailstock has been screwed with by a previous owner.

What's wrong with the headstock alignment? What vintage is the machine - Pretty rare for SB to have screwed up the alignment between the ways and the spindle axis.

Typically on high mileage machines the tailstock ram is low, and points down (droops).

The headstock is a replacement, the original was worn out. Spindle bearing clearance was over 0.030" (not a typo) on the integral iron bearings.

Come to think of it, maybe the P.O. modified the tailstock so it would align with the worn-out spindle axis.

The underdrive was really worn too, but otherwise the machine was not too bad.

For future reference, I just purchased a new baseplate from Grizzly, and it is 0.904" thick at that point. I'm guessing it is .900 nominal with some allowance for fitting.

I measured my base plate at 0.8995" This is basepalte i bought from South Bend 30 Years ogo or so when i had my bed reground.

it has no appreciable wear - Part no 51r1 - with no felt wipers

Back