What's new
What's new

Mechanically fastening lathe dog to faceplate?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
I want to fasten my lathe dog to the faceplate to enable use of the steady at the working end-
no tailstock- with the chuck end dogged to a dead center. I've seen them tied but knots aren't my thing....
Must hold the work rigidly against the center with no slippage. Maybe U-bolts or similar, any tried and true easy solutions?

I want to fasten my lathe dog to the faceplate to enable use of the steady at the working end-
no tailstock- with the chuck end dogged to a dead center. I've seen them tied but knots aren't my thing....
Must hold the work rigidly against the center with no slippage. Maybe U-bolts or similar, any tried and true easy solutions?

Worked for me

Attachments

• P1000416sm.jpg
    P1000416sm.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 318
  • P1000418sm.jpg
    P1000418sm.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 251
Very nice, John! I've done similar a couple of times years ago. I was doubtful until about 2 minutes into the first job, then WOW why didn't I think of that long ago!!! Next job, no question how..

Pete

The old books recommend lashing it on with wet rawhide. It shrinks and holds everything tight. The only knot you need to know is a square not for fastenings the ends together. If you can't learn to do a square knot you probably need help to get your shoes tied.

No way to use a chuck or collet to hold the headstock end? I guess not, or you wouldn't be asking the question. Didn't want to overlook the obvious...

Ted

Whatever you do, don't fasten it so that there is no flex. The idea of using a center and faceplate with a dog is so that the work has no influence outside of the center points to be distorted. The old timers used rawhide laceing for this reason.

If you plan to need this type of fixing often,you can make up a clamp dog from square stock.This thing resembles a tool makers clamp with V grooves centered between the screws.One of the bars needs a tail that sticks out like the jaws of the clamp would. Drill and tap the tail for thread rod that will be used to double nut the thing to the face plate.
Set the work up between centers and dog everything down at the plate end.Install the steady rest near the headstock and set it up.Move the steadyrest to the other end and back off the tailstock.
You can do whatever to that piece of stock without the tailstock.
The bars in the picture are 5/8 hot rolled.Bolts 5/16-18.

Attachments

• STH71579.jpg
    STH71579.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 107
The South Bend "How to Run a Lathe" says to unscrew the drive plate a couple of turns, lash the dog to the plate (they say to use rawhide, you'll probably have to use something else), then tighten the drive plate down on the spindle to tighten the lashings.

Back