What's new
What's new

@&#*$%:($ Milling attachment

Lilyike

Plastic
@&#$)*$&#!! Is what I said when I dropped my milling attachment this morning. ISO a replacement swivel base. 57A6CC2F-A3D1-4EC2-BD17-F21FE4025D77.jpg
10R model. Thanks

Radical suggestion: get it welded correctly. There aren't many guys who do real cast iron welding anymore, so you'd have to ship it to them and pay for them to ship it back. But there are such guys, and I know of a real good one in Washington State.

Cast Iron Repair
16129 Smokey Point Blvd
Marysville, WA 98271
(360) 657-7660

Iron Mike isn't cheap but he has been welding cast iron professionally since 1972 and he is *good*. I think they should have TV shows about guys like him. But other people don't think like I do.

Give him a call. Won't take much time; he's not much of a talker. Or mail him a picture and wait awhile and then call him.

metalmagpie
no relation just a real happy customer

I had some CI internal drive components on a mill tig brazed. I've run that mill harder than I should and no issues. MM's suggestion is good too.
If you had been lucky, if would have landed on your foot and not broken. :)

I had some CI internal drive components on a mill tig brazed. I've run that mill harder than I should and no issues. MM's suggestion is good too.
If you had been lucky, if would have landed on your foot and not broken. :)

I was hopping mad, could just as well have been because of a sore foot.....��

I've got one that I was in the process of cleaning up. If you're interested shoot me a message, can post some pictures tomorrow.

Lilyike,
Where in Iowa are you? Maybe you could drive to the Quad Cities and I would weld it for you with cast iron.

how can you mill with one of those things anyway? Half assed bodge any way you look at it. Your lucky it broke, good reason to get a real mill.

If you are in 8th grade and that’s all you have for milling, you go with the flow. BTDT, learned a TON! Now I know and own better, and 20:20 hindsight is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can tig weld cast iron with stainless steel filler. Ive repaired countless turbine housings with both 308l and 309 filler without issue. 309 is a bit more forgiving. Preheat, weld, peen and very slow cooling. Not as good as nickel property wise but its a solid, strong repair that will last.

Thanks to Ted(SBLatheman), I have a functioning milling attachment. Clearly, not a substitute for a real mill, but with patience and some care I think it will be quite handy. B6AA3971-9D00-47DF-B9F1-841769D1D051.jpg

Last edited:

Back