What's new
What's new

Missing Slot for Wick Material??

Can'tWeld

Aluminum
Morning guys I'm refinishing a 1942 10L SB and at this time putting together the apron.I am going by the book "A Guide to renovation the SB" which is a big,big help.So I'm starting on the worm gear and parts associated with it which includes wick material that should go through the channel in the bronze bushing that provideds oil to them.The wick material drops down into the trough and oil suppose to wick up to the bushings.Problem is my bushings has no channels.I was wondering if others have come across this on their lathes or if this was a lathe SB forgot to make the channels and just said the heck with it.Now I know that its been like this since 42 and it will probably keep going for several more yrs.Also looking at the bushings and the worm gear shows signs of wear,look how thin the middle two threads are.Any thoughts???Thanks Can'tWeld

Attachments

• DSC02105.jpg
    DSC02105.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC02274.jpg
    DSC02274.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 305
Parts are available, if you look for them. It is also possible to put a slot in the bushing, if you have the tools. There are folks here that can tell where spares can be located.

If someone can please do,I really don't want to put it together.Right now I have no tools to do this nor the knowledge.If possible I also need the key(PT239R1) that the lead screw slides through,one I have has a shoulder which is bout 1/16.I check at Griz since they sale parts but their website does not work for me.Thanks---

Attachments

• DSC02279.jpg
    DSC02279.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 271
the bronze bushing
Now I know that its been like this since 42 and it will probably keep going for several more yrs.
Also looking at the bushings and the worm gear shows signs of wear,look how thin the middle two threads are.Any thoughts???Thanks Can'tWeld

It was not that way when new. The original bushings are cast iron, have a groove in the bore and in the face for the wick. Someone replaced yours with a different material and left out the grooves.
Your worm does show some wear and the worm gear shows a lot of wear.
Ted

Guys any ideals where a person may be able to purchase the correct bushings,worm and the worm gear???I hate to call and ask Griz and the time I purchase gears off of ebay I think they were as bad as the ones I had----Can'tWeld

If your current bushings are Sintered Bronze I'd not worry about it as it absorbs oil much like a felt wick and I see it as an upgrade.

For the gears which clearly are worn out I have no idea.

Ken from Canada.

Thanks guys,I'm new at this so I will have to figure out the correct terminology of what I think I need.So Ken I can't figure out how oil would get the bushings without any wicking material.Does it relay on splash,looking at the bushings they look pretty good no grooves,or scoraching.Ted I will send you an email tomorrow,thanks for responding----Can'tWeld

.So Ken I can't figure out how oil would get the bushings without any wicking material.Does it relay on splash,looking at the bushings they look pretty good no grooves,or scoraching.
It's not splash but a close analogy, the lower gear picks up oil which is is deposited on the worm which drips/spreads everywhere.

When doing powered cross feed facing I've even seen apron oil climb to the front v-way.

Ken from Canada.

Thank you Ken,I feel better knowing that its good to go.I'm going to check with Ted tomorrow on some other parts.I'm new here and still learning my way around and the lathe----CanWeld

Back