What's new
What's new

Model 20-XE 9" 2 1/2' bed from 1927

kopcicle

Aluminum
00x0x_4lBQHWdRrKq_0ew0jm_1200x900.jpg00Y0Y_AWx5cbOiOV_0ew0jm_1200x900.jpg
I'll include more, better files as I'm able.
This becomes a long term project with no real point to it other than to upgrade as far as possible.
I need to know what exactly I'm looking for in order to :

Add lead screw
Apron
Change gears
QCGB (I know a bit of a reach but...)

So far I've determined that the model "20" is a stripped 9" "junior" (please correct me if I'm wrong)
I see no mention of a QCGB for the "junior".
I'm aware that power feed and cross require the correct apron (if it exists) and lead screw.
I do have access to extensive machining capability if I for instance I need to modify a lead screw.
I am starting from scratch as far as this particular vintage but have been making chips for five decades.
I'm prepared for a humbling experience because of my lack of period knowledge.

So go ahead and tell me it's a fool's errand and a bit of a bridge too far. I can take it :-)
I have the time and the patience to see this through. In the mean time it's a wonderful, working, example of a machine from an era long past.

~Dennis

No geared aprons (with feed clutch in addition to half nuts) and no QC boxes here

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/23/23.pdf

I'll suppose the 20 was an earlier, simpler Junior - never intended to have anything but hand feed, and certainly no single point threading

Isn't this sort of rare / unusual? If it is made into something usual, will not its value suffer?

The No. 22 Junior 9·inch Back Geared Screw Cutting Lathe is assembled from the units of our regular No. 31-9-inch Standard Change Gear Lathe that we have been making for twenty-three years....

The same Headstock, Tailstock, Bed and Saddle-all are identical on the No. 22 Lathe with those of the No. 31 Lathe.

The 9-inch No_ 20 Special Back Geared Metal Turning Lathe is assembled from the units of our regular 9-inch Junior Lathe, the same Headstock, Spindle. Tailstock and Bed-all are identical on the No. 20 Lathe with those of the 9-inch Junior Lathe. The same accuracy, hand scraping and in*spection that our regular lathes receive is also given to the No. 20 Lathe.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/20100.pdf

So I assumed all of the 31, 22, "junior" parts would, could fit the "#20" Special.

What did I miss ?

that's pretty wild, never seen anything like that before.

Adding all those things will cost at least as much if not several times what the lathe is worth. You're better off getting it in good working condition, then use the proceeds from selling it to get the lathe you want with those features. Or use this one until the lack of threading gets frustrating, then do the above :)

I agree with Johnoder. This looks to be a well-sorted very early lathe, tho I'm not sure what's correct or not
for this model. I'd tend to spiff it up a bit, get it well lubricated, and leave it alone. I think it looks great just as it is! (Personally, I would miss it if it were gone/sold)

Rather than spend a lot of time (and I assume money) making it something it was never meant to be,
I'd put the money and efforts on obtaining a newer model A 9", say something from the 50's that have all the bells and whistles
already. Plus, parts and rebuilt kits are readily available (for the time being). That doesn't mean you have to resign the Model 20 to the historical "show and tell" section of your shop. It still has its uses.

Of course, its your machine to do with as you please, but it would be like dropping a V8 into an early brass-era automobile.

And if you've been making chips for 50 years, you might be more impressed with a 10" than a 9", the latter sometimes get a pretty bad rap around here as being toys compared to the larger South Bend models. Here's a video from You Tube showing a really nice Heavy 10. Unfortunately, you don't see a wide shot of the lathe until around 5:54. So I guess it's all about your machine expectations. (There are better vids out there)

1942 South Bend Heavy 10 Taking A Cut - YouTube

PMc
(Below, my 1949 9" Model A machine)

View attachment 306288 View attachment 306289 View attachment 306290

I seem to be moderated (still?)
So my posts may come in some odd order.
I just want to know what series/models may donate parts so when I trim over them I know what they are.
I agree that any of that vintage that have change gears at a minimum and the single tumbler with power traverse and cross would be a better option.
Brass era it is :-)

The 9-inch No_ 20 Special Back Geared Metal Turning Lathe is assembled from the units of our regular 9-inch Junior Lathe, the same Headstock, Spindle. Tailstock and Bed-all are identical on the No. 20 Lathe with those of the 9-inch Junior Lathe. The same accuracy, hand scraping and in*spection that our regular lathes receive is also given to the No. 20 Lathe.

The No. 22 Junior 9·inch Back Geared Screw Cutting Lathe is assembled from the units of our regular No. 31-9-inch Standard Change Gear Lathe that we have been making for twenty-three years-the same Headstock, Tailstock, Bed and Saddle-all are identical on the No. 22 Lathe with those of the No. 31 Lathe.

So are the 31 and the 82 built on the same bed as the 20?

seems I can't post links :-/
vintagemachinery org/pubs/1617/20100.pdf fix it figure it out I guess

Last edited:
front.jpg
ID_plate.jpg
top.jpg

As promised the additional photos once we got it into the shop.
As I and brother Jason (owner of the lathe) understand it does have some collector value but is what it is.
We have verified that the 82 (?) 31 & 20 are all essentially the same thing.
The 20 shown is in fact missing, well, everything.
We may have found a pre-war standard locally instead of adding on the the 20.
A little more investigation is in order as we nor the owner knows the origin or model of the lathe in question until we can help clean out access to it.

So it is what it is and was making chips last night as Jason learns HSS tool geometry.

Anyone remember their first tool grind ? :-)

Unrelated but...

...Jason's 618
618.jpg
And my 101.
101.jpg

Again , unrelated and as time allows they will get their own threads.

Thank You for tuning into our obsessive compulsion :-)

Dennis & Jason

that is a cool little lathe, crazy stout for its size. Must have been ordered and used to make short simple parts like bushings or maybe refurbing alternators. That's a neat bit of history!

btw, I also have a 618 and I've used the hell out of it over the last 5 years. It'll shortly be replaced by a 1929 wide 9 :)

Yet another possibility is that these lathes were built to compete with what were known as Bench Lathes back in the early part of the 1900S.These machines were built by companies like Pratt& Whitney, and a fleet of others. These machines had heavy cylindrical beds with a single V on it and a slot the full length to pull the head and tail stock down on to that V. No lead screw, no saddle. The slides were both mounted on a thing known as the compound slide. It could be rotated to produce tapered parts on either axis.
There would be 100 or so of these in a room operated by women, and set up by a few machinists. Things like clocks, fishing reels and laboratory instruments were made on them.
Numerous attachments allowed the manufacture of all nature of little things. They even had threading attachments with a wide assortment of gears to make many different threads.

Back