What's new
What's new

Model 9B motor & switch wiring

dspahn

Plastic
Hi all. First post here for me. And I'm also brand new to this particular hobby, so please excuse my ignorance.

I recently purchased a 9B and I'm currently in the process of completely tearing it down and cleaning it up. It appears
to be all original, but I could be mistaken on this.

Unfortunately, when I bought it, the motor was separated from the switch, and the seller had no information about how it
was originally wired. So my question is, how the heck do I wire this thing up?

Here's the information I have.

The motor is a GE 1/2 HP, 110V, single phase, model 5KC63AB494:
20170114_120540.jpg

There are 4 leads labeled T1, T2, T3, and T4 with little brass crimps on the leads.

The front and back of the switch look like:
20170114_120613.jpg

20170114_120630.jpg

Here is a little picture I threw together showing how the wires are currently attached to the switch. Blue squares are
the 9 terminals on the back of the switch. The purple lines are jumpers from terminal to terminal. And the diagram is
as if you were looking at the back of the switch.
frs_switch.jpg
The switch has 5 colored leads coming off: white, black, red, green, and what I'm calling orange, but is actually just
a little less red (might once have been brown). I'm not sure why the picture is showing up so small, but for clarity,
the labels on the leads in the diagram, from left to right, are red, white, orange, black, and green. And here is a link
to a larger version: Click for larger image

The only clue I have is that I think T2 was attached to the post in the center of the switch (vertically and horizontally)
because there was a little bit of green insulation on the motor lead immediately after the solder junction, and green is
what's coming off the center post. But I'm hesitant to trust this.

What I'm hoping someone can provide is a wiring for dummies set of instructions. Something like, "Connect T1 to (color).
Connect T2 to (color). Connect one lead from plug to (color). Connect the other lead from plug to (color)."

I have a multimeter, and I'm not afraid to use it, but I'm certainly no electrician, and I want to avoid either killing
myself or catching the house on fire. ;)

Any help, advice, commiserations, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Ok, 4 wire Type KC instant reversing motor. It has a relay in a can on the end of the motor. That's not a big problem. The question in my mind is more about the switch. We need a connection diagram. I assume that when you press the forward or reverse buttons, they are maintained? Can you press each of them in turn, and use your voltmeter to determine which terminals have continuity? You'll have to work to make your diagram readable, your existing one is not.

allan

FYI - you apparently have the VERY rare guard mounted push button switch.

There are guys that would probably pay nearly what the lathe is worth just to get that motor and switch...don't fry it.

We're it me I would sell that switch and motor in a heartbeat and go with a 3ph and VFD set up assuming your interest in only in having a working lathe.

kitno455: When you say "maintained," do you mean they stay pressed in? If so, yes... sort of. The buttons don't really stay pressed in,
but the rocker arm mechanism behind the buttons remains pressed in. It looks like a see-saw. When in the off position, the arm is parallel
to the face of the switch. When either forward or reverse is pressed, the see-saw is slanted in the direction on the button pressed. Regarding
the switch diagram, did you click on the link which brings up the external imgur link? Because you can see it larger and readable there. I don't
know how to post a larger picture on the forums. As far as a circuit diagram, I'm not sure how to do that, because I'm not an electrician.

iwananew10k: Thanks for that info! It's definitely something to consider. I do mostly just want a working lathe, so what type of switch I have
isn't all that important to me. Maybe someone will see this thread and make me an offer I can't refuse. ;) With that said, though, I found
this post which really shed some light on things:

Specifically #13 from iron_junkie. If he happens to see this, thank you, thank you, thank you! Using this explanation and his directions,
I have determined that there is a run and a start winding, slightly out of phase via a little resistance in one of the windings. Wiring it up and
plugging it in, I have determined that the motor still runs great. Tonight, I'm going to go try to really figure out the switch. And knowing that
all I have to do is figure out which terminals are on and off in which positions, I ought to be able to figure out how the wires are supposed to be
connected.... I think. ;)

Thanks for all the help everyone!

You don't need to be an electrician to use a voltmeter. Push the first button, and then use the continuity or resistance setting to determine which terminals are connected to each other. Then do the same with the other buttons.

allan

You don't need to be an electrician to use a voltmeter. Push the first button, and then use the continuity or resistance setting to determine which terminals are connected to each other. Then do the same with the other buttons.

allan

With an ohm meter I checked the 5 colored leads in all 3 states of the switch. "dis" = ohm meter reads 1 (disconnected). "con" = ohm meter read 0 (connected).
Results shown in the table below:
lead 1lead 2offforwardreverse
orangegreendiscondis
orangereddisdiscon
orangeblackdisconcon
orangewhitedisdisdis
greenreddisdisdis
greenblackdiscondis
greenwhitedisdiscon
blackwhitedisdisdis
blackreddisdiscon
whitereddiscondis

I have the same motor but I have a sb switch.inside the switch cover is a wiring diagram.like I said tho it's a differant switch.lmk if you want to see anyway.

I think I've got it figured out. After seeing some other threads with visual representations of switches open and closed circuits, I made my own.
switch_wiring.jpg
The circles are the wires (grey in the pic = white). LINE = wire from plug. Orange LINE is
one wire from the plug and grey LINE is the other one. It doesn't matter which is which.

If, after I hook all this up, the motor runs forward in reverse and vice versa, you just switch
the wires for Start 1 and Start 2.

Can another set of eyes let me know if my reasoning is sound?

Thanks!

I couldn't wait. I tried the configuration described in the post above, and it works! Press forward, and the motor spins one direction. Press reverse, and it spins the other way. And it will instantly reverse if the opposite button is pressed. Thanks for everyone's help!

Wondering if you could post a picture of the lathe? Especially the part where the pushbutton switch attaches to.

Paul

Wondering if you could post a picture of the lathe? Especially the part where the pushbutton switch attaches to.

Paul

I'd be happy to. But it's in the process of being completely torn down for cleaning, painting, and installing new wicks and such. But
tomorrow I'll put up some pics of what it looks like, with special attention to the guard that the switch mounts to.

Here you go Paul. Hope this is what you wanted to see. If not, just let me know, and I can post more pics.

The lathe, partly disassembled, with the guard and switch attached.
20170119_200333.jpg

Close up of guard and switch. Here you can see one of the screws that holds the guard in place.
20170119_gf.jpg

Side view of the guard. You can see the other screw that holds it in place.
20170119_200413.jpg

And you have the correct guard for the pushbutton switches! I've only seen one other SBL with those switches and guard. I have one of those guards, but no switches for it. I wonder if Steve Wells has seen this?

I just found the original wiring diagram that came with my lathe way back when.if you give me your cell phone # I'll send you a pic.

I just found the original wiring diagram that came with my lathe way back when.if you give me your cell phone # I'll send you a pic.

Cool! I think I figured it out the hard way, but I'd love to see the original. I'll PM you my phone #. Thanks!

Back