What's new
What's new

model O 11" overhead silent chain drive.

reddogforge

Plastic
a few questions for you all .....well I couldn't say no...600 bucks, heck shes lovely. very little wear or lash, hardly any to be honest.
catalog number 333-A
the serial number is 3944-I ( I couldnt find any reference to the "I", could anyone please explain that bit of nomenclature to me, or is that a dash one? )
this is new territory for me though as up until now Ive only worked on a couple atlas restores.
Im guessing based on mr wells site that this is an early 20s.
as you can see in the pictures its an overhead with the "silent chain drive"?
Ive ordered a new belt the old one was in pretty bad shape.
Id like to get a NOS lantern,
might replace the compound slide with one in better shape.
needs the gear nut on the lead screw
the tailstock needs a new dial handle
Ill be ordering its card today.
after some poking about I cannot find a exploded parts diagram. does this exist? also Ive seen some lit for the underneath style ie later machines but how compatible are they in terms of parts?
speaking of which, in general how compatible is this machine with other machines?
one of the limitations ie the pass-through being so narrow, is this a case where I can mount a different headstock and tailstock if I wanted to switch out to a heavy 10 stock?
I absolutely love the ole gal, and plan on restoring it to OEM specs, but for the next year or three shes going to be pulling minor parts repair and maintenance duty in my shop.
thanks ahead of time for all your help folks.
Shane
0903192207a.jpg
0903192238a.jpg
0903192238d.jpg

Last edited:
well that clears that mystery up :D thank you
looks like definately 1928 and that will also help with the card
finding anything that threads onto that spindle though. sheesh 1 5/8 -8tpi
anyone here know a good parts dealer for the older stuff?

sheesh 1 5/8 -8tpi

Great practice - get a 1 1/2-8 whatever (dog driver, etc) and see if you can pick up the thread and gently open it to 1 5/8 - 8

A great help in this regard is to first make a duplicate of your spindle nose to use as a gage

In general though, old machines get parts MADE for them, not "found"

Back