What's new
What's new

Model and serial number confusion

GordonL

Aluminum
I have a 13" South Bend lathe and the more I look the more confused I become. I am trying to decode the serial number and find the approximate date. I have looked at the SB website and I have tried emailing them and just got a reply that I can buy a serial number card.I am not curious enough to spend $25 for exact information. I use the lathe daily and knowing the exact information is not going to make it any more usable.

The lathe is 13" with 5ft bed and a two lever quick change gearbox. It is a model CL145B which is supposedly a threaded spindle but it has a D1-4 spindle. The serial number is #15191T which does not decode on the SB site.

Any place with better information?

Try this database HERE.

It looks like your lathe is from 1975-6. Around that time, the threaded spindle was falling out of favor. Maybe the D1-4 spindle was the default spindle. If not, it could have been easily replaced during its life.

OK Thanks. I bought it from a used machinery dealer and he told me that it had come out of a school. That is probably true because it had several layers of red paint on it and the dealer speculated that when one of the students got bored or in trouble the instructor told him to go paint the lathe,

Back