What's new
What's new

Model # for this South Bend?

The whole ad is BS. It's a regular threaded spindle. It doesn't have "large dials". The bed is too early to be "flame hardened". It doesn't have an "extended range" gearbox. With an ad this deceptive, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:
I can see behind the chuck now in one of the pics, def not a camlock.
B.S. on the "cleaned and inspected" too, given the surface rust all over it.
Not ready to run away yet, surely worth nowhere near the asking but might check it out, anyway as it's not too far away.

If anyone can provide a model # I'd still like to find out specs and estimated year of mfg.

Looks like a 6' bed. Model# 183C for 14.5" and 117C for 16". If it's a 14.5" it probably has a 2.250-6 tpi spindle thread, so be advised. Later 14.5's had 2.375-6 tpi spindles like the 16",a little more common. As said above, the whole ad description is B.S. Sounds like ad creator read other ads and took some "juicy" tidbits that sounded good and added them to his own ad. Price is almost 4X what that machine is worth. PB

I concur with the its all BS assessments.
He says the face plate is 15". I trust that he could measure that accurately and has no reason to lie about that fact. That most likely makes this a 16" Lathe. The plate wouldn't fit a 14.5"

He copied and pasted the description from a heavy 10 on ebay last month and edited it to say 15".

Back