What's new
What's new

Motor drive pulley diameter for south bend 9" lathe

DICK CARLSON

Plastic
I am assembling a 1946 south bend model 9a. I have a 3/4 hp 1725 rpm motor with no pulley. I need to know what diameter i need to get the desired speed for the 10" driven pulley. Sure would appreciate any advice -- thanks

carlson

I reckon you may get a few different answers to your question. (May not be original pulley)
Anyway,the motor pulley on my 9" SB is ~2.43" OD, uses a B type belt and drives a 10" countershaft pulley.

Cheers
CJ

The (assumed) original pulley on my 1948 9A is two speed: 2.090 and 3.410 inch OD. The large pulley diameters are 9 1/8 and 10 inches. The smaller pulley has V grooves and the larger is flat.

Thanks to all. Think i will try a 2.5 inch.

Ted, your picture came out so small and i guess i am not smart enough to get it zoomed so i can read it clearly. Looks like good info though. What reference book/manual did you get this from?

Thanks so much for your help

Thanks to all. Think i will try a 2.5 inch.

Ted, your picture came out so small and i guess i am not smart enough to get it zoomed so i can read it clearly. Looks like good info though. What reference book/manual did you get this from?

Thanks so much for your help

You can do what Erich suggests, which works great by the way, or I just left mouse click on them and they open right up full size.

Ted

Dick,
Just recently got a similar 9A lathe (1947) back together after refurbishing.
I believe the motor & pulley arrangement on mine to be original. The smaller step on the motor pulley measures about 2.100 O.D. for the flange and 1.100 for the I.D. or arbor. The larger step measures about 3.400 O.D. by 2.400 I.D., this takes a 5/8" wide belt. The large countershaft step pulley measures about 9" and 10" I've attached a couple of pictures. Hope this helps.
CWC(4)Mills reel crank & South Bend Pulleys 008.jpgMills reel crank & South Bend Pulleys 009.jpg

THANK YOU, CWC. IT'S NICE TO SEE OTHER CONFIGURATIONS. MY COUNTERSHAFT PULLEY IS 10" (SINGLE ONLY) . I MOUNTED A 2"OD MOTOR PULLEY THIS MORNING AND AM USING A LINK BELT. SEEMS TO TRACK OK. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HAD THE LATHE RUNNING. SEEMS NICE AND SMOOTHE BUT THE COUNTERSHAFT BELT TO THE LATHE ( ALSO A LINK BELT) DRIFTS AND SOMETIMES COMES OFF,

BEING A NEWBE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE RPM's ARE OR WHAT THEY SHOULD BE. I FEEL THAT I AM MAKING HEADWAY -- BUT HAVE A LOT TO LEARN.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLY.

DICK

This was the information I was looking for. I had Form 921F (Motor Pulleys) but had no idea which Style 2A pulley to use. Now if I can just find one.

Don't know if this will help, I have a couple of 9 inchers and they all have 2 1/2" motor pulleys with both 9" and 10" pulleys on the counter shaft. Note the cone pulleys are different diameters too. The smaller ones came from school lathes.

Attachments

• SB PULLEY DATA.jpg
    SB PULLEY DATA.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 120

Back