What's new
What's new

motor pulley

threadman

Aluminum
What can I do for a motor pulley for my Madel A 9"? It is a 2 step, about 3 3/8" dia and 2 1/16" dia. for a 5/8" wide belt. I searched the web but can"t seem to find something that would work. I have a 5/8" motor shaft. If anyone have one that they would sell please let me know. I guess I could make one if all else fails. Thanks

I made a smaller one for an Atlas 6 x 18" lathe moror. The hardest part of doing the job was digging up a chunk of steel for it. It wasn't worth buying a new piece and I had to beg a cutoff from a 3" diameter rod. Still owe a favor for that one.

Some hardware stores still have selections of pulleys and McMaster - Carr has a section on them.

Does anyone even use both steps on the pulley? How much different in speeds is there from one step to the next? Is it worth the trouble to look for, or make a 2- stepper or would I be better off with just a single? Than the question is witch size would I use, the 3 3/8" or the 2 1/16".? Does anyone have any input, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Threadman,

Yes, the two-step pulleys make a big difference! You should have one on your countershaft too. The pair of two-step pulleys are designed such that one can put the belt on either on of the steps and not have to tighten the belt between the motor and the countershaft.

Here's a dimensional drawing for the drive pulley. This is easy to make.

Mike

2-step-pulley-for-southbend.jpg

[ 03-07-2007, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Mike Burdick ]

Hello
Would it be possible for you to send me the drawing for the two step pulley please? The image doesnt seem to work on here due to Photobucket dropping support for third party.

Back