What's new
What's new

Motor Pulley

Yakuly

Plastic
Where can I find a motor pulley for a 9 inch precision lathe. I know it uses a flat belt or B-type belt and looking. I have checked eBay, already and can't find any other place that sells it.

Yakuly,

Welcome to the forum.:)

Your request is quite vague as you don't mention any particulars about the machine or pulley spec's. To my knowledge, a flat belt is totally different than a 'B' section belt..if that's what you meant.

If it is indeed a flat belt pulley and you have the resources, a pulley is very easy to make, much easier than sourcing one, unless the manufacturer is stateside and responsive to inquires.

What is the lathe, what are the actual belt dimensions...this will get the brain trust headed in the proper direction. What is wrong with the pulley you have now, assuming you do have a pulley now?

Keep in mind, this site is sensitive to small, hobby machines, so if yours falls into this category, be ready for a broadside shot across the bow.

Stuart

The majority of South Bend lathes use a somewhat strange setup to drive the countershaft in which the motor has a V-Belt pulley while the pulley that's driven on the countershaft is flat. It actually works very well. You can have success with either a B section belt (needs a B section pulley on the motor) or an A section belt in which case you can use an A section pulley, widely available from many sources.

A hint is that you'll have better success if you use a machined pulley on the motor rather than one of the cheap diecast pulleys you'll find at the hardware store. Better quality pulleys can be found at places like Surplus Center.

Assuming a 1750 RPM motor (don't use a 3450 RPM motor) you'll want a pulley that's someplace between 2 and 2-1/2 inches in diameter as a starting point. That will keep the speed of the spinning parts reasonable until you figure out what you want to do with the lathe.

Here are the pulley diameters that came with my nine inchers, they both used 2 1/2" motor pulleys. I played with an overhead drive layout and used a 1/3 HP (1725 RPM) dryer motor to save weight. Worked just fine running the "V" belt on the flat pulley.

Attachments

• SB 9 Overhead Drive #1D.jpg
    SB 9 Overhead Drive #1D.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 35
  • SB PULLEY DATA.jpg
    SB PULLEY DATA.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 36

Back