What's new
What's new

Motor Pulley On 9A

mcload

Hot Rolled
Hello crew; hope all are doing well.
I am proceeding nicely with the "refreshing" project on my '46 9" Model A lathe, thank you.
The bench has been completely stripped/repainted, and the lathe bed is clean and ready for the bench today.
All other parts are ready for assembly as well. However, the last 2 items are the QC gearbox disassembly and the
counter-shaft drive assembly, neither of which I expect to be much of a problem. (Will post update photos soon)

Sorry if this is a lame inquiry.

The drive motor is a replacement Baldoor; 1725 RPM / 110 vac /1/2 hp. Something I would like to correct is that there is
a V-drive pulley on the motor. Naturally, the V-belt looks kinda whacky running on the flat-belt drive pulley. See photos.
I would obviously like to change the v-drive to flat. (No, it was this way when I inherited)

When I took the pulley off, I noticed it had a bushing in it. The shaft on the motor is 1/2" and looks as though it's
been turned down to that size...I was expecting the shaft diameter to be the same coming out of the motor. Perhaps that's normal.
So the question is, will I be able to find the correct flat belt pulley at Graingers or McMasters? Or are flat belt
pulleys a thing of the past?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
PMc

(PS: I can feel a tiny obstruction when turning the motor shaft; feels like the internal fan plate is barely hitting something.
I may have this motor cleaned out before remounting anyway. It has always worked fine.)

View attachment 279697 View attachment 279698 View attachment 279699 View attachment 279700

That is the original pulley that came with the lathe. The counter shaft pulley is flat so you can change belt positions without needing to unmoving the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^YES to that.

its gonna run like crap(poor power transfer) because you have an A section belt...its bottoming in the pulley groove....the pulley is made for a 5L section belt.

leave the pulleys as they are and get a new belt....5L section belt is what you want...a B section can work but 5L is better...5L is more flexible generally than B section.....you dont want a cogged belt as the inner surface of the belt runs on the flat countershaft pulley....quality matters in belt selection too.

i dont see a keyway in the bushing? i wouldnt rely solely on a set screw...but it might be fine...thats just me.

Okay great, thanks. I'll look for another belt or just run with what I have.
The pulley does not have a key. Rather, it has a setscrew that meets a flat on the motor shaft.

Reason I asked this question is that it seems like I have seen photos of lathes with
what looks to be one-inch flat belts on the countershaft pulley. I just surmised that the
motor pulley should be the same. Guess not.

Many thanks! One less thing to worry about.

No problem! I’ve really liked the Gates Truflex belts I’ve been purchasing for my projects. The 3380 fits the horizontal drive 10Ks, but I’m not sure if the dimensions are the same for the 9A horizontal drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your motor set-up is correct although not original. A 1/2" diameter motor shaft with a flat is a standard configuration. Generally motors with 5/8" or 3/4" shafts would come with a keyway to use a keyed pulley which is what your pulley appears to be. There isn't anything wrong with a flatted shaft to use with a setscrew but you do have to make sure that the screw is tight and stays tight. Usually a 9" lathe doesn't load the motor enough to cause problems with the flattened shaft and setscrew.

I can't tell what frame size your Baldor motor has. Typically a NEMA 56 frame motor would come with a 5/8" keyed shaft while a 48 frame motor would come with a 1/2" diameter shaft with a flat.

Back