What's new
What's new

motor question

drobbins

Plastic
Hi Folks, I'm new here,

I got my hands on a 9A from 1947 and I've spent the last few months cleaning and refurbishing it.
It's come out quite nicely but I'm having trouble with the motor.
It runs but it get's really hot, to the point of smoking.
I'm thinking about replacing it and I seem to remember reading somewhere I would need a frame 56 motor.
The bolt pattern, shaft height from base, and shaft size seem to match frame 56 dimensions but the data plate on the motor says H145K
I guess the dimensions matter more than the tag but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this situation?
Also, the original motor has a big capacitor on it, if I buy a motor should I get one with a cap?
Thoughts before I spend money?
here's the tag, the image I inserted is too small, check the link so you can read it
http://drobbins.net/southbend/motor_tag_small.png

Attachments

• motor_tag_small.jpg
    motor_tag_small.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 106
Your local motor shop is your friend, most good motor shops sell motors and repair old ones and sell used motors. Check and see if there is a
electric motor shop near you..

I would replace the bearings and capacitor and give it another try, probably run you $30. Unless the wiring and insulation is fried that is usually what goes out on a motor.

I just went through your exact situation. You should see a post on it if you search my name. After refurbing a 10k, the motor started to smoke. Thus began my indoctrination with small electrical motors. Most of the advise I got was just get a new motor and matching the voltage, HP, and frame to the old motor should get you that. Being hard headed, I decided to go the other route and see about getting my motor rebuilt. I was fortunate to have an AC motor shop just a few miles from where i worked. When I called them, there advice was to get a new motor :eek: Not letting that deter me, I talked them into to looking at it so I dropped it off during my lunch hour. They called me back within a few hours and stated what I had was an Instant Reversing motor. That somehow changed their opinion on rebuilding it and so they gave me a quote. 24 hours later I had a working motor and even repainted it for me. I think it was around $150 to $175. In the end I am glad I did it. I didn't have to put some Chinese motor on such a beautiful machine.

Back