What's new
What's new

Mounting a 9A to table

Azmotorhead

Plastic
Hello all.
I'm finally getting around to setting up a SB 9A. lathe hasnt been used for quite some time and it was given to me in boxes.
I picked up a butcher block countertop for a table top to set the lathe on.
The lathe is belt driven from a motor/countershaft.
My questions are 1. Is there a print or dimensions as to where you mount the motormount in relation to the lathe.
2. Is there a link I can follow for getting belts to drive the lathe.
Thanks

The number that I keep seeing is, 15 3/4" from the rearmost mounting hole in the bed foot, to the pivot point on the countershaft. I don't think that it's critical, just keep in mind that as you bring the countershaft and lathe closer, the motor can interfere with the bed/headstock. Also, one of the consequences of moving the two closer, is that the amount of belt contact with the pulleys diminishes.

You'll get widely differing opinions, but here's the belt that I'm using: Expertise

Paul

As the lathe is apart anyway use the oportunity to mount a serpentine belt.
You might want to find out what sizes are readily available and place the motor / countershaft in accordance.

I just happen to be scanning some of the documents that I got with my grandfathers lathe as we speak. I've found this one online somewhere before, but it was easier for me to just attach it. Hope it helps. As for belt length, I ran the shortest belt I could and modified the tension rods so that I could get the countershaft assembly as close to the lathe as I could and get the bench up against the wall. (My grandfather punched a hole in his shop wall and hung the motor out into the next room.. :D) Once I got the lathe bolted to the bench, I set the countershaft assembly about where I wanted it and blocked it up, then used a seamstress nylon tape measure to find the belt length and bought a endless serpentine from McMaster. I stressed out about it for a while, but when push came to shove, it wasn't very hard to get it working just right.

10603594_881114722436_4959330932024031562_n.jpg

EDIT: Just searched my email and found my McMaster receipt. The flat belt I used is:
Ultra-Flexible J-Section V-Belt, 10 Bands, Trade Size 480J10, 48.3" Outer Circle
Part number: 9003K118

That belt puts the centerline of the countershaft about 19.5" from the centerline of the spindle.

For the motor to countershaft belt (I have a 2 step pulley, if you have a single step, it may be different):
5L-Section V-Belt, Trade Size 5L440, 44" Outer Circle
Part number: 6192K24

This belt ended up being JUST too long and I bought a shorter one (5L430) on Amazon.

Back