What's new
What's new

Mounting a heavy 10 milling attachment on a 9 lathe

Hello,

I have a heavy 10 milling attachment and I'm looking for suggestions on how to mount this on a 9" south bend. I turn for fun and I'm working with a limited budget.

Thanks for any help.
Joe

Usually the milling attachment is made to mount on a 9" lathe, has to be modified to fit a heavy 10. This is what I found when I purchased my milling attachment. At any rate, you will need to make a adapter plate that fits on top of the cross-slide, and underneath the milling attachment. This plate will be round, and will have a boss that fits into the hole on the cross-slide. and will have appropriate located holes drilled and tapped holes in it. The manufacture of this adapter plate is well within the capabilities of your lathe.

Can't do it without ruining it for a 10", and it will sit a bit high on a 9"

Sell it and buy a mini mill, as sucky as they are it's better than a milling attachment.

Or trade it for one for a 9" if you really like the idea of a milling attachment.

I'd love to have it, even if it isn't in perfect condition. I'll buy it if the trade doesn't work out.

I have a 9" R junior 1937 lathe that I wanted to have a milling attachment for. I located an atlas milling attachment that I believe is a stronger unit and the way I mounted it it is close to the support with as little overhang as poss. Just turned an adapter swivel to fit both my cross feed deck and the female atlas. VERY strong.

Attachments

• 20190426_192102.jpg
    20190426_192102.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 20190426_192222.jpg
    20190426_192222.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 20190426_192149.jpg
    20190426_192149.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 189
These things are not a substitute for a milling machine,but if you use a milling cutter holder to hold the cutter and dont attempt too deep a cut you can mill with them.I have a 13" milling attachment and a 9" workshop lathe milling attachment.Just a few weeks ago I did a very delicate milling job with the 9" one.

Good observation and could have been real bad if I had it plugged in and the belt I was replacing was on and the switch I was re-wiring was together. I moved the key so it would not fall when I took the switch. off. I had noticed a glitch in power when I was making the adapter. All is back together now and the key is in its proper place as usual.

south bend 9" mill lower attachment

Hello,

I have a heavy 10 milling attachment and I'm looking for suggestions on how to mount this on a 9" south bend. I turn for fun and I'm working with a limited budget.

Thanks for any help.
Joe

Joe
I have the lower mount for a south bend 9" mill attachment. I'm looking for a heavy 10 lower mount attachment
I would consider a trade.

thank you
duane

I'll trade you a 9 inch milling attachment for your heavy ten, mine is only missing the vertical axis crank.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Back