What's new
What's new

Moving a South Bend SHAPER - Anyone Do It - By Themselves?

bradjacob

Titanium
Hey guys & gals -

Does anyone have any experience in moving a South Bend shaper (7") with a hand truck from a basement? The weight, ease of moving it, possible disassembly, etc... I'm going to be picking up one this Saturday from a fellow machinist who passed three years ago and the family is selling it.

I already spoke to Ted about it and he gave me some good info, so I'm now reaching to the group to get as many tips as possible. Too much knowledge is never a bad thing, right?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :D:D

If you can take it apart I would. I have seen one of those in person,and the term top heavy is an under statement. Wrenches are a rigging secret,I have a 13" SBL with under drive in my basement.

Brad...I have moved 2 of them, one downstairs into the basement and one to the shop. I find that an appliance mover works very well as it has longer handles to maneuver around and goes up and down stairs much easier. I did not take either of them apart. Just have a good breakfast before attempting! Two people would work best to pull up stairs, one on each handle, ( absolutely no one below ) ..........

Last edited:
You can remove the motor and belt guards but it is not the kind of machine that can be disassembled in someone elses basement.
You have to pull the guts out to remove the ram.
I wrapped mine in a moving blanket, strapped it to a hand cart and two of us muscled up the stairs.
Chris

You can remove the motor and belt guards but it is not the kind of machine that can be disassembled in someone elses basement.
You have to pull the guts out to remove the ram.
I wrapped mine in a moving blanket, strapped it to a hand cart and two of us muscled up the stairs.
Chris

Thanks Chris. Did you remove it from the cabinet before loading it onto the hand truck?

Brad...I have moved 2 of them, one downstairs into the basement and one to the shop. I find that an appliance mover works very well as it has longer handles to maneuver around and goes up and down stairs much easier. I did not take either of them apart. Just have a good breakfast before attempting! Two people would work best to pull up stairs, one on each handle, ( absolutely no one below ) ..........

Thanks SWWI - I'll try to get help.

If you can take it apart I would. I have seen one of those in person,and the term top heavy is an under statement. Wrenches are a rigging secret,I have a 13" SBL with under drive in my basement.

I'll try to get the motor off and maybe the table.

I take exception to that. There is nothing wrong with having someone below as long as it is someone you no longer want around ; Mother-in-law, politicians, telephone solicitors. After all, who will make sure it is going up the stairs straight ???

I hauled a base cabinet from Ted's to the buyer in Arkansas. It only weighed about 75 lbs, so the rest of the mass must truly be top heavy. Be careful.

Get a appliance type hand truck with the belts on the backside just above the wheels ,will make a world of difference going up stairs. I spent many a day on the bottom side of heavy washers and refers pushing the %^$*$&($ things up stairs working for my Dad. 50 years ago a 16 CF refer was one HEAVY pig!!
John

I hauled a base cabinet from Ted's to the buyer in Arkansas. It only weighed about 75 lbs, so the rest of the mass must truly be top heavy. Be careful.

Tom is right the base is manageable with one person but the shaper is a heavy little guy. me and the son in law moved my shaper I would take someone with you at all possible. Here is a pi of mine with your south bend gray formula.

Attachments

• DSC_3143.jpg
    DSC_3143.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 342
We get to see a Shaper rebuild on your channel? That would be a welcome addition! You might as well open up a South Bend museum :)

Since you're probably going to rebuild it you might as well disassemble it before moving, IMO.

I'm down the road a piece from you. Happy to volunteer an extra set of hands on moving day if it works out.

Back