What's new
What's new

Much newer replacement for a 1948 9A bed?

I don't know, that's the short and truthful answer. But I would consider having the existing bed planed and (ideally) scraped.
You're sure you can't use your lathe as is?
Or go find a new old one!
I used to try to repair old and worn-out machinery but usually found the results inadequate, costly and time consuming. Depends on how accomplished one is, I suppose.
So, if you are like me, don't !
Regards, fusker

It technically is possible, but all your components were scraped to fit their respective beds at the factory. While everything will fit on there, it may not be in line and require some scraping and refitting. How bad is your bed? Short of it being cracked it should still be useable.

A lathe bed in usually always fixable.
Some places can regrind your bed, saddle, headstock, and tailstock to fit the bed. (I say hadstock because the bottom of it needs to be ground (lowered) to match the reground tailstock and saddle)

Once ground, you can flake it if you wish. No need to scrape it unless you want bearing spots.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

My first post to this forum was about my lathe's damaged bed. It's at <http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/1948-9-model-way-damage-serious-problem-279109/>.

I don't just want to have a lathe. My primary interest is restoring this old lathe to better than new condition, and learning a lot about it in the process. Time is not a factor. If its bed did not have the huge divot, I'd consider having it ground and do the fussy fitting myself -- if I could.

A local machinist regrinds beds for $800. Scraping, flaking, and fitting the saddle and tailstock bring the cost to $2000. But he uses plastic. Plastic is used on very high quality new lathes, but I don't want it on mine.

I think I can get a very good condition much newer bed for about $350.

With these factors in mind, do you still think I should not get the new bed?

Thanks,

Jon

I would like to replace the damaged bed on my 1948 9A with one from a much newer (1964 to 1988) lathe. Is this possible?

In the late 70's, the bed was changed. New pattern with straight sides, so the legs are different. That means you will need one older than about 1976.
Ted

I have been watching this thread, Waiting for someone to give a definitive answer to the question, knowing that there is not one. Everyone has their opinions And that's fine. Let me express my opinion just for the record.

There's a lot to be said about Re-grinding a bed and saddle. But there is a point that Re-grinding is not an option. And the only one who is in the position of making that decision is the owner of the machine.

However replacing the bed can be riddled with pitfalls. As mentioned earlier the bed feet may not be Interchangeable. There's also a matter of the headstock, tailstock and steady rest clamps. They also may need to be changed. But these things are not insurmountable. One of the biggest problems that you will find is getting a matched bed and saddle. You need to buy them from the same machine in order to make sure they fit properly. Or else you may have a long job fitting them by hand.

But before you consider either option, There is one thing that you need to do. Inspect every other part of the machine, put it together and run it. Make sure every part that you do not want to replace does not need replacing including Head stock bearings, spindle, tailstock, apron and gears. Everything else that can be inspected should be. The best thing you can do if you're going to buy a new bed, is considered buying a second machine that you know has a good bed and Saddle on it. Even if something else is damaged, you still should be able to make up one good machine.

Don't rush into anything before you know what you getting into.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Gentlemen:

Thanks very much for the advice. I took it and did not buy the bed. I contacted the seller and asked if he had the matching headstock, saddle, and tailstock. He said he did and would look for them. He notified me today that he discovered the bed and parts were from a light 10.

I am in the process of cleaning, removing, cleaning, and inspecting every part of my lathe. Did I mention it needed a lot of cleaning before I could begin to clean it? That's good, I guess, because I haven't found any rust under all the grime.

My first project, motor and switch cleaning and rewiring, is nearly complete, and the motor still runs!

Thanks again guys,

Jon

Back