What's new
What's new

My Grandfathers South bend 9a

JoCarter

Plastic
So I have decided to take on this gauntlet of a project to keep something he used so much of around during my childhood. This south-bend(I'm pretty sure its a 9a correct me if I'm wrong) was used mostly for fabricating parts since he was in charge of the maintenance in a irrigation production plant "weathermatics". The part I remember most was a soil sample rod made of aluminum(I will have to post eventually) He has since passed on in 2012 and this machine has sat in the garage unused since at least 2006. With my grandmother in a home now due to early stages of dementia I brought it home along with most of his tools(that's a whole other can to open). I have shown her some of the pictures and it brought a smile to her face so this has definitely been worth it so far.

I have disassembled most of it and painted the bed before stumbling upon this forum/website through youtube. I will try to get the pictures I took in chronological order and post where I'm stuck at. I'm sure I will be using this forum a lot now. Thanks and look forward to this fun Journey since I love to rebuild old stuff.
image31.jpgimage31.jpgimage27.jpgimage18.jpgimage20.jpg

Here is the apron with most of it taken apart as well(do note I am very limited on space to work with. I'm working on that now so its not as clustered and I don't loose parts. Because whats worse then putting a car back together and having spare parts....wait a minute...is that why my grandfather has so many nuts, bolts, and screws....ahahah
image37.jpgimage25.jpgimage15.jpgimage30.jpgimage29.jpg

Gearbox

Here is the gear box dirty and drive shaft up top?(not sure yet what thats called unless i dig the diagram up)
image17.jpg image22.jpgimage13.jpg

I just inherited my dads lathe, yours other than rust and a cleau op looks much better than mine. Good luck, from a sentamental stand point I would say go for it.

Four comments:
This is a noble undertaking of the highest order…for all of the obvious reasons.
This forum will be a tremendous resource for any and all of what you may need.
The folks here understand what and why you are doing.
Someone is looking down on all of this with a smile…

here is the bed cleaned up and pained as well as some tools i think that go with this cleaned up, sorry for small pictures I will need to upload larger images
image8.jpgimage9.jpgimage10.jpg

Do you plan on installing new oiling felts?

Yes, I was hoping I could find a place to just by the felts and gaskets kit. I have the renovation book but, no the felts or oil yet, I'm just prepping for paint until I can get all that good stuff.

Please learn how to post images full size. All that we can see is a slightly larger image than a thumbnail. There isn't enough resolution to actually see significant details.

Please learn how to post images full size. All that we can see is a slightly larger image than a thumbnail. There isn't enough resolution to actually see significant details.
sry that was through my phone which is not user friendly i must say.

I hunted up felt of the correct grade off amazon. It was way cheaper and I just cut to fit.

I hunted up felt of the correct grade off amazon. It was way cheaper and I just cut to fit.

Well that's great...but what about the spring-loaded spindle oilers? I guess
you could just attach some new felt on top of old? Just wondering.
Me, I needed the book so the kit was a no brainer.
(I think someone sells the spindle oilers individually)

PMc

View attachment 285635

sry that was through my phone which is not user friendly i must say.

Hey, I can SEE the pics now!

How bad is the near sided saddle groove up near the headstock? Can you catch a fingernail on it?

You should really post your pics on this site. That way, when your site decides to change their access policy, your pictures will not disappear. Here is a tutorial on doing just that. Use the procedure starting in post #3.

Back