What's new
What's new

My new MLA cross slide + mystery toolpost

iwananew10K

Diamond
finally got my new MLA cross slide mounted- these things are SWEET!! also hoping someone can identify this rear mount toolpost- it`s a very well made piece with evidence of case hardening. can`t wait to get it mounted too!:D

105_3906-1-1.jpg

105_3902-1.jpg

105_3901-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
tool holder

I can not give you who made it. But i have seen and used allot of holders like it. They where very commonly used on turret lathes on the back side of the cross slide. You would mount your cut off toll upside down. Then back feed the cross slide to cut your part off.
Brian

Brian is correct; that is a turret lathe rear toolpost. The form of the post doesn't ring any bells for the manufacturer, but I'm inclined to think it's a Bardons & Oliver.
Harry

That is not it, but South Bend made one like it for the production cross slide.
Here is a picture (not mine) and you can see the rear tool holder on the left.

Attachments

• IM001598.jpg
    IM001598.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 795
Hey All,

What does MLA stand for?

I think I have one of those slides sans the "gib bar"

I have been wondering what it was called and how is was used.

Thanks!

Crosslide-rear toolpost

I recently scored a Logan cross slide ...fits my 10" 1875. I just finished up making the rear tool post for it. I still need to make a front similar one for form tool/ cut-off work. I have seen many posts here on the SB forum on these. I got a drawing of the rear tool post offered by Andy @ Metal Lathe Accessories. I was halfway into making the tool post as a steel welment, before I heard of the nice castings available. The drawing steered me in the right direction.

I have to get me one of those turret tool holders for the tailstock...so that I can pretend I'm on a good old W&S turret lathe again!

I made a video of a simple cut-off operation=
YouTube - alpho52's Channel

Attachments

• loganCrosslideRearToolpostOp.jpg
    loganCrosslideRearToolpostOp.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 480
  • LoganCrosslideRearToolpostA.jpg
    LoganCrosslideRearToolpostA.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 309
  • LoganCrosslideRearToolpostB.jpg
    LoganCrosslideRearToolpostB.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 406
Chuck Key

Nice chuck key! Ouch.
be careful,
danny
Chuck key was not "left" in the chuck [THAT' IS A SAFETY NO NO] While setting up the camera shot and the work, I had the chuck key and cross slide lever in one hand and the camera in the other...had to let go of one OR DROP THE OTHER!...DON'T WORRY THE LATHE WAS OFF AND BELTS RELEASED! Thanks for the heads up to point it out to anyone new to the lathe that may start that dangerous habit of leaving it in the chuck.

Back