What's new
What's new

My new SB 9 A lathe

I have a 9" SB "A" and it is excellent condition. From all I can tell its a 1968 year. I will sell it off because it is just not big enough to replace my Logan that has served me well for a number of years. Just a bit about this SB: It has an 8 drawer cabinet four of the drawers are locking with keys and the cabinet is also in excellent condition. I did put in new non slip liners in the drawers too. It has a taper attachment, original 3 and 4 jaw 6" chucks with a set of outside jaws for the 3 jaw. Steady rest, and a set of collets with draw bar and a holder that mounts on the ways. Micro carriage stop, large and small face plates with three dogs, No 14 ball bearing Jake chuck, dead and live centers and more. Pretty sure the paint on this lathe and cabinet is original too. What do you all think I should ask for this super fine lathe? Oh and by the way I am in Oregon.

IMG_20210603_175321.jpgIMG_20210603_175313.jpgIMG_20210603_175238.jpgIMG_20210603_175248.jpgIMG_20210603_175256.jpg

Last edited:
Unless it has been modified, I believe that is a 10" lathe.
Makes a difference.

PMc

No, it's a 9". The tailstock and the apron are good reference points, as is the taper attachment. Now if we could only get a decent picture of the plate on the gearbox, that would settle the identification.

No, it's a 9". The tailstock and the apron are good reference points, as is the taper attachment. Now if we could only get a decent picture of the plate on the gearbox, that would settle the identification.

Perhaps you are right. But I've not seen a 9" with large dials and a pin-registered reverse gear lever. I also thought the taper attachment was the same
between the two models? But the compound and general size of the lathe does look like a 9.
I stand corrected.

PMc

It's a 9A, and a late one at that. Not a 10K, the height of the compound base is not that thick. I would say this is, order of magnitude, a $ 1K lathe.

More if the right motivated buyer comes along. Less if being sold to somebody you like. More depending on the local market.

This lathe is a 9" and sorry about the poor photos but my cell doesn't do well and my camera is on the fritz. The tag on the lathe gives catalog No. CL8644Z and also says Bed Length is 3 1/2 but does not say its a 9" but measured from the dead center on the tail stock to confirm. This is an exceptionally nice lathe and especially with all the extras and the 8 drawer cabinet. Just wondering where I should start on the pricing.

Back