Thread: My NEW SB Lathe

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was the lathe and all the accessories in its home stored location when you bought it.
    It appears the previous owner was proud of his lathe. Its history would be interesting?
    It seems the accessories often get sold on ebay, then the lathe is sold bare bones.
    Package deals like this are hard to find.
    Enjoy your lathe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    Was the lathe and all the accessories in its home stored location when you bought it.
    It appears the previous owner was proud of his lathe. Its history would be interesting?
    It seems the accessories often get sold on ebay, then the lathe is sold bare bones.
    Enjoy your lathe.
    Im not sure. The young man I bought it from is also a Firefighter coincidentally. He had a VERY nice work shop at his house. He is downsizing temporarily and selling his workshop contents so he doesnt have to pay storage. I think HE bought it from an old timer..I have a text to the guy I bought it from, see if he has any history answers.

I have 2 more items Im not sure where/how they go. The first is the same color as the lathe...maybe a coincidence. Cant figure how I would attach it.

The 2nd is a machinist vise, but not the one I see in the old catalog pdf. Im sure there must be a way to attach that and then be able to mill or keyway cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first item is a cross slide for a drill press...The milling attachment is mounted with your lantern tool holder, the ring and the tool
    holder clamp it down tight..there is one made by SBL that is mounted where the compound goes..See photo of one in your book how to run a lathe by South Bend..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by packrat2 View Post
    The first item is a cross slide for a drill press...The milling attachment is mounted with your lantern tool holder, the ring and the tool
    holder clamp it down tight..there is one made by SBL that is mounted where the compound goes..See photo of one in your book how to run a lathe by South Bend..
    Ah ha! The lantern tool...I never thought of that. I figured the other was for a drill press, but was curious as to why it was included in the lot I bought...and being the same color as the lathe I figured I might be missing something. Sorry if these questions are silly, like I said,Im very new to this and trying to learn. Never too old to learn! Thank you very much for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the drill press unit is not a quality item but may still be ok on a small drill press....it looks like what harbor freight currently sells.

the milling attachment is a Palmgren, and is terribly unstable and even somewhat dangerous....if you use it be extra cautious....I would be inclined to auction it on eBay for 200 starting price, believe it or not they can fetch up to 300...put the money in the fund for a milling machine, which you will for sure want soon.

6. Likes 3512B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The X-Y table is an Atlas Craftsman sold by Sears in the 1960s. They will bring about $250 on CL
    Combine that with the proceeds from the Palmgren milling attachment and put it toward a small milling machine, because you WILL want one!

nice lathe! Congratulations! And remember, you are the temporary custodian of the lathe. Keep it in nice condition for the next owner

welcome to the Old Iron Illness. Consider us your support group
    Last edited by Rex TX; 07-07-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: damned autocorrect!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex TX View Post
    The X-Y table is an Atlas Craftsman sold by Sears in the 1960s. They will bring about $250 on CL
    Combine that with the proceeds from the Palmgren milling attachment and put it toward a small milling machine, because you WILL want one!

nice lathe! Congratulations! And remember, you are the temporary custodian of the lathe. Keep it in nice condition for the next owner

welcome to the Old Iron Illness. Consider us your support group
    Thank you for the information and kind words. I will definitely keep the lathe in nice condition. I like the temporary custodian line, makes perfect sense. Truth be told, Im type A and very anal about all my tools,guns,vehicles..pretty much everything...its a disease. I will certainly consider selling both items to finance a milling machine. Can you offer any particular brands that are quality? Im thinking I dont need a giant one, just hobbyists size. Would also prefer a vintage one not any new stuff. Thanks for any information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations! You found a truly unusually nice specimen, that is truly unusually well-equipped. Not only, as others mentioned, are the various other parts and accessories most often lost or sold separately along the way, many lathes probably never had this extensive a set of 'extras' with them at any point in their history- and it is easy to sink _a lot_ of money into acquiring these items one-by-one.

A few suggestions - there is a fellow who goes by 'Ilion Industrial Services' that puts out a very thorough book on best practices for a full cleaning and renovation of this (and other) model SB lathes - the one you want is "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe 9" Model A, B & C Plus Model 10k" It can generally be found on ebay or Amazon. The same person has put out 'kits' of the exact replacement 'felt wicks' and other items to do a full refresh on the machine- I got mine of those replacement items for my SB 10K) via him via ebay but I do not see them on ebay now- but I do see that he seems to have them on Amazon. Even if you don't decide to dive into the full-course procedures detailed in the book, I think you will find the book very interesting and informative in learning more about how your lathe is assembled and how it works.

Re: Aloris or other quick-change arrangement, I'd respectfully suggest that you take a look at a different option, which is the 40-position 'multifix' arrangement, which gives you far more options of how you can accurately set your tooling in multiple positions. The original design and manufacture were European, but those are now somewhere between highly un-find-able and entirely un-affordable. A company in China called 'Create Tool' makes and sells precise, high-quality versions of the same - that include a variety of different toolholder types and sizes. They also make a set of 'retractable threading toolholders' that, by lever, retract the cutting tip from the thread at the end of the cut, which can be handy (there are two separate variants of the retractable threading toolholders, one for external thread and one for internal threads). You can order direct from the company and 'Nina' there, with whom you'd interact to inquire or place an order, is friendly, helpful, and efficient. I have no commercial connection, just one of a number of happy customers Create Tool - Toolholder expert ---- QCTP toolpost | CNC tool holder The retractable threading toolholders are not shown on their website, but are made-to-order. There are those who will say that the 40-position 'multifix' is 'overkill' for a SouthBend but my opinion is that it offers substantial advantages, and those advantages may be especially welcome to someone like you (and me) who is still learning. I put it in the category of 'buy once, cry once' vs getting something and then finding later that you want to upgrade, and ending up spending more in the long run. You most likely want the "Size A" for your size machine.

Enjoy!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the information and kind words. I thought I got a good deal when I purchased it, but now after inventorying it and doing a little more research on the accessories and the comments here, seeing all the extras Im certain I made a good purchase. I know you are all to polite to ask, but I paid 1,200$ for everything you see. Minus the stand I built. I have less than 100$ in that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that was a good buy....what part of Florida are you? Is weight a factor for the mill?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im in Palm Beach County, second home to President Trump. Weight is not a concern, but SIZE is. Im quickly running out of room in my garage. I have a 2 car garage that I currently have ALL my equipment in, including a 56 double stack tool box, Hobart MVP 240 welder, 3x9 horizontal vertical bandsaw, 53 inch delta table saw with beismyer fence, 6 foot tall drill press, another Snap On tool box, a Polaris Ranger 800, the wifes Tesla, work bench, 2 generators...well you get the idea.. Im VERY limited on space....but Ill squeeze it in if I have to!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well, it not vintage, but it is small and WAY better than a milling attachment! it would certainly hold you over.

Enco Milling Machine 120 Volts - tools - by owner - sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ifirefight View Post
    I will certainly consider selling both items to finance a milling machine. Can you offer any particular brands that are quality? Im thinking I dont need a giant one, just hobbyists size. Would also prefer a vintage one not any new stuff. Thanks for any information.
    In small mills, most people want a "3/4-size Bridgeport" or something along that line.
    I would be looking for one of the following, in this order:
    - Burke Millrite also Powermatic. [3/4 BP]
    - Rockwell also Centex [5/8 BP]
    - Clausing [1/2 BP)
    All are fine, US-made knee mills. The best match for your 9A is probably the Rockwell.
    Millrite and Rockwell use common R8 tooling, the Clausing uses less common MT or B&S

These are getting a bit pricey now. Nice ones will easily bring $2500
    Another possibility is a Benchmaster at about $1000.

Less common machines are out there as well. I would set up a search on your local CL for "Milling" and see what turns up. Be prepared to hit the truck with cash when one turns up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0028.jpg   img_1500.jpg   mvn-1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the detailed response. I will keep my eyes pealed for those particular models you mentioned. Im a patient man and have always had good luck finding good buys. I have a big F250 and cash in hand for just the right deal....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ifirefight View Post
    I know you are all to polite to ask, but I paid 1,200$ for everything you see. Minus the stand I built. I have less than 100$ in that.
    Pricing varies by region but these smaller SB machines are highly sought after by hobbyists (they are most commonly 'heard of' and thus most commonly sought after) which tends to cause them to go for what are often absurdly high prices [for that they are) even in marginal condition and/or with few accessories- and buying accessories separately one by one can gradually become a ferocious total cost. I'd say you did _exceptionally_ well

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My NEW SB Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    Enjoy your lathe.
    The guy I bought it from finally got back to me. He stated he bought it from a lady in Palm Beach who was selling her Husbands (ex-husband) tools due to a divorce..poor fella..no other information unfortunately.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kd1yt View Post
    Congratulations! You found a truly unusually nice specimen, that is truly unusually well-equipped. Not only, as others mentioned, are the various other parts and accessories most often lost or sold separately along the way, many lathes probably never had this extensive a set of 'extras' with them at any point in their history- and it is easy to sink _a lot_ of money into acquiring these items one-by-one.

A few suggestions - there is a fellow who goes by 'Ilion Industrial Services' that puts out a very thorough book on best practices for a full cleaning and renovation of this (and other) model SB lathes - the one you want is "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe 9" Model A, B & C Plus Model 10k" It can generally be found on ebay or Amazon. The same person has put out 'kits' of the exact replacement 'felt wicks' and other items to do a full refresh on the machine- I got mine of those replacement items for my SB 10K) via him via ebay but I do not see them on ebay now- but I do see that he seems to have them on Amazon. Even if you don't decide to dive into the full-course procedures detailed in the book, I think you will find the book very interesting and informative in learning more about how your lathe is assembled and how it works.

I ordered the book and a complete rebuild kit, guess that will keep me busy for a while.

Enjoy!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im about half way thru the refresh, not calling it a rebuild because now that Ive tore into it, its really nice inside also. The quick change gear box was a bear! Fought me the whole way...but I prevailed. The saddle was pretty straight forward. I put all new wicks on both parts and cleaned up everything. No damaged teeth or anything else as far as I could see. Heres a few pictures of the carnage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good photos of your gear box, you are a lucky man, no gear teeth broken or badly worn parts...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by packrat2 View Post
    Good photos of your gear box, you are a lucky man, no gear teeth broken or badly worn parts...
    Yup, Im very greatfull. Will be tackling the head stock on Monday. Stay tuned.....