Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I went through the WHOLE machine. Replaced every wick,gasket,seal,you name it... I am in awe of the complexity of the a lathe built in 1949.

I did purchase the book on how to rebuild it. While it was very helpful it still took a lot of thinking it through..not everything was covered or pictures shown. I had to watch many videos to help me get it done.

I would consider myself very mechanical inclined, that being said,this is not an undertaking for everyone. Make sure you have the proper tools and knowledge to tackle this. Many times I asked myself, why are you taking this apart? The lathe is in fantastic condition for its age...but being anal about everything I decided to go whole hog on it.

It’s 70 years old now and good as new! I did not find ONE chipped/broken tooth on any of the gears or ANY parts for that matter.

One guy mentioned that I’m just the “temporary custodian “ of the lathe...how true of a statement. This will be around long after I’m gone...hopefully my 17 year old boy will take interest in it....

3. Likes Sachmanram liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ifirefight View Post
    Well, I went through the WHOLE machine. Replaced every wick,gasket,seal,you name it... I am in awe of the complexity of the a lathe built in 1949.

I did purchase the book on how to rebuild it. While it was very helpful it still took a lot of thinking it through..not everything was covered or pictures shown. I had to watch many videos to help me get it done.

I would consider myself very mechanical inclined, that being said,this is not an undertaking for everyone. Make sure you have the proper tools and knowledge to tackle this. Many times I asked myself, why are you taking this apart? The lathe is in fantastic condition for its age...but being anal about everything I decided to go whole hog on it.

It’s 70 years old now and good as new! I did not find ONE chipped/broken tooth on any of the gears or ANY parts for that matter.

One guy mentioned that I’m just the “temporary custodian “ of the lathe...how true of a statement. This will be around long after I’m gone...hopefully my 17 year old boy will take interest in it....

You work pretty fast! I think I have been able to give about 6-10 hours per week since I got mine and I have the head stock and motor left to go through! I have been at it since January of this year! ~24 weeks x ~8hrs = ~200 hours so far. I found a couple things along the way that slowed me down like a broken tumbler lever and a worn crossfeed screw. Anyway good job!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    You work pretty fast! I think I have been able to give about 6-10 hours per week since I got mine and I have the head stock and motor left to go through! I have been at it since January of this year! ~24 weeks x ~8hrs = ~200 hours so far. I found a couple things along the way that slowed me down like a broken tumbler lever and a worn crossfeed screw. Anyway good job!

A few more pictures of the refresh. I’m estimating I have right around 40-45 hours in the refresh. (Not including building the stand or completely cleaning it when I first got it) At first I was just going to oil everything and give it a good thorough cleaning, then I figured I might as well get the rebuild kit with all the wicks and everything, just so I know it was done. It was missing a few wicks when I took it apart,and the ones that were in it, were hard as a rock ,so they really all did need replaced.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, since the guy that was going to show me the basics of running a lathe backed out on me ...I decided to “teach” myself.. after lots of reading and video watching I decided to start my first project... a machinist hammer.. now mind you, I have ZERO prior experience with a lathe. Here’s some pictures of the progress...be gentle with the comments.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finished it up yesterday. I’m happy with the way it turned out. I learned a lot from this first project.

8. Likes Sachmanram, Kevin T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you sure your new at this..???

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by packrat2 View Post
    Are you sure your new at this..???
    Lol, yes honest to God.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks really good. You might have liked a diamond knurl better than a straight one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    It looks really good. You might have liked a diamond knurl better than a straight one.
    Thanks! I actually had the diamond knurl tool, just grabbed the wrong one. First time I knurled anything, like I said, I’m learning a lot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got the “NEW” nameplates from JKULL installed. Made her even prettier than she was.