My “NEW” SB Lathe - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default











    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Well, I went through the WHOLE machine. Replaced every wick,gasket,seal,you name it... I am in awe of the complexity of the a lathe built in 1949.

    I did purchase the book on how to rebuild it. While it was very helpful it still took a lot of thinking it through..not everything was covered or pictures shown. I had to watch many videos to help me get it done.

    I would consider myself very mechanical inclined, that being said,this is not an undertaking for everyone. Make sure you have the proper tools and knowledge to tackle this. Many times I asked myself, why are you taking this apart? The lathe is in fantastic condition for its age...but being anal about everything I decided to go whole hog on it.

    It’s 70 years old now and good as new! I did not find ONE chipped/broken tooth on any of the gears or ANY parts for that matter.

    One guy mentioned that I’m just the “temporary custodian “ of the lathe...how true of a statement. This will be around long after I’m gone...hopefully my 17 year old boy will take interest in it....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. Likes Sachmanram liked this post
  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    91
    Likes (Received)
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ifirefight View Post
    Well, I went through the WHOLE machine. Replaced every wick,gasket,seal,you name it... I am in awe of the complexity of the a lathe built in 1949.

    I did purchase the book on how to rebuild it. While it was very helpful it still took a lot of thinking it through..not everything was covered or pictures shown. I had to watch many videos to help me get it done.

    I would consider myself very mechanical inclined, that being said,this is not an undertaking for everyone. Make sure you have the proper tools and knowledge to tackle this. Many times I asked myself, why are you taking this apart? The lathe is in fantastic condition for its age...but being anal about everything I decided to go whole hog on it.

    It’s 70 years old now and good as new! I did not find ONE chipped/broken tooth on any of the gears or ANY parts for that matter.

    One guy mentioned that I’m just the “temporary custodian “ of the lathe...how true of a statement. This will be around long after I’m gone...hopefully my 17 year old boy will take interest in it....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You work pretty fast! I think I have been able to give about 6-10 hours per week since I got mine and I have the head stock and motor left to go through! I have been at it since January of this year! ~24 weeks x ~8hrs = ~200 hours so far. I found a couple things along the way that slowed me down like a broken tumbler lever and a worn crossfeed screw. Anyway good job!

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    You work pretty fast! I think I have been able to give about 6-10 hours per week since I got mine and I have the head stock and motor left to go through! I have been at it since January of this year! ~24 weeks x ~8hrs = ~200 hours so far. I found a couple things along the way that slowed me down like a broken tumbler lever and a worn crossfeed screw. Anyway good job!




    A few more pictures of the refresh. I’m estimating I have right around 40-45 hours in the refresh. (Not including building the stand or completely cleaning it when I first got it) At first I was just going to oil everything and give it a good thorough cleaning, then I figured I might as well get the rebuild kit with all the wicks and everything, just so I know it was done. It was missing a few wicks when I took it apart,and the ones that were in it, were hard as a rock ,so they really all did need replaced.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Well, since the guy that was going to show me the basics of running a lathe backed out on me ...I decided to “teach” myself.. after lots of reading and video watching I decided to start my first project... a machinist hammer.. now mind you, I have ZERO prior experience with a lathe. Here’s some pictures of the progress...be gentle with the comments.







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Finished it up yesterday. I’m happy with the way it turned out. I learned a lot from this first project.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Likes Sachmanram, Kevin T liked this post
  9. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Default

    Are you sure your new at this..???

  10. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by packrat2 View Post
    Are you sure your new at this..???
    Lol, yes honest to God.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    307
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    56

    Default

    It looks really good. You might have liked a diamond knurl better than a straight one.

  12. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    It looks really good. You might have liked a diamond knurl better than a straight one.
    Thanks! I actually had the diamond knurl tool, just grabbed the wrong one. First time I knurled anything, like I said, I’m learning a lot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Got the “NEW” nameplates from JKULL installed. Made her even prettier than she was.







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •