What's new
What's new

My South Bend 9A restoration is nearly complete. Its runs. Have video.

CVRIV

Aluminum
https://youtu.be/bRkcMH0GBHc

Let me know what you think. The biggest disappointment im dealing with is that the side cover doesnt fit the machine with the motor and position of the motor assembly. The motor is in the way and the cover wont fot by any stretch of the imagination. Im going to have to figure something out with that. I might try and create a custom cover or mount the cover the the table.

Speaking of the motor assembly position, i have that thing so finely positioned that the belt tracks to the center of each pulley in forward and backward. Im extremely impressed with that.

Have having installed the new vbelt, the serpentine belt cones to close the motor juntion box. Ill have to design and 3D print a newer lower profile box.

Vefy soon we're going to play what is this and what does it do or for. Some of this stuff i have nonidea what its used for.

Anyways, let me know what you think. I still have some things to do. I want to install a stainless cap on the bench shelf. I need to make an oil/ chip pan for under the bed. I have several chucks to clean/ restore.

Looks really shiny, love the paint. That was running on the fastest speed so lots of gear noise. I didn’t see oil dripping or slinging so it needs more. The cover will help with the slinging oil, so getting that in place is required. If you move the base mount of the countershaft assembly back to the edge of the table will that give you clearance to mount the cover?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that South Bend didn’t recommend running in back gear on the highest speed setting but I can’t find a reference.

Oil it up, make some chips and get it dirty, enjoy it.

Ben

... I thought I remember reading somewhere that South Bend didn’t recommend running in back gear on the highest speed setting but I can’t find a reference. ...

Page 23 of the 1966 56th edition of South Bend's How To Run A Lathe booklet says at the bottom, "It is not recommended that back-gears be engaged when drive is operated at high speed."

Its a 1750rpm motor.

Havent read the book yet.

There was plenty of oil spray and spillage. I wiped it all up. Lord have mercy this is going to get messy. Got to stay on top of that. Have to do something about oil spraying on the motor. I dont like the blue motor but im not painting it. Inneed to move on amd get some work done.

As for the cover.... Id have to get a longer serpentine belt and move the lathe further away from the motor mount. Do i really want to do that....

Last edited:
Look in the South Bend forum here a few pages back, I have headstock guards for free that you can mount you electrical switch on. If you want them PM me. That repair is easily massaged so that nobody would even know it was there after paint.

Awesome! Ill PM you.

I already disassembled the lathe again. Buying a longer serp belt now. Worst thing about this is that i have two extra holes in my work bench. Less than perfect:(

Awesome! Ill PM you.

I already disassembled the lathe again. Buying a longer serp belt now. Worst thing about this is that i have two extra holes in my work bench. Less than perfect:(

No worries. They will be covered by your planned stainless steel top. And we won't tell. :)

0412211422.jpg0412211423.jpg0412211423a.jpg

Made changes. I got the gear cover on on the bed. I bought a slightly larger serpentine belt and moved the lathe forward from the motor mount by 3 inches. That gave plenty of room for the cover to be attached.

I have a slight problem now. I have to make a new tentioning mechism because the one was junky. I already tried bending a 3/8" rod to 90deg with heat and that didnt go well at all. I have a small dual mixture jewelers torch. Going to buy a can of propane and oxygen for it. Going to see if i can make that bend with the rod red hot. If i fail,... Anyone know anyone that could do it for me? Im going to scour the net to see if i can buy something i can use.

Its Rustoelum oil based protective enamel. Sorry for late reply. Ive got a lot on my mind.

Your response in other thread said Krylon, did a google search and found a Krylon gloss black in 1 gallon cans (you mentioned thinning it so I assumed it was not rattle can), now you are saying rustoleum? It looks good, I have a few things to paint in black, could you please provide a link to the paint you used? Home Depot is 2 hour drive away so I can't just go look.

Did you spray or brush?

Beautiful job CVR, that black really looks good on your machine. One suggestion though, possibly chips will find their way into the fan housing of the motor, something to deflect them might be in order. Jim

Beautiful job CVR, that black really looks good on your machine. One suggestion though, possibly chips will find their way into the fan housing of the motor, something to deflect them might be in order. Jim

Agreed. And oil. Im working on it... Hopefully soon this thing will be complete.

I have a slight problem now. I have to make a new tentioning mechism because the one was junky. I already tried bending a 3/8" rod to 90deg with heat and that didnt go well at all. I have a small dual mixture jewelers torch. Going to buy a can of propane and oxygen for it. Going to see if i can make that bend with the rod red hot. If i fail,... Anyone know anyone that could do it for me? Im going to scour the net to see if i can buy something i can use.

Looking good. I can bend it for you if its too much of a problem. Have full-size oxy-acetylene here with fresh tanks. The only time my shop was ever that clean and nice was when I first installed mine. Been a mess ever since because I am using my shop, and I've learned how to accept that. :D

Looking good. I can bend it for you if its too much of a problem. Have full-size oxy-acetylene here with fresh tanks. The only time my shop was ever that clean and nice was when I first installed mine. Been a mess ever since because I am using my shop, and I've learned how to accept that. :D

Thanks so much. Ill let you know. I bought a 3/8" mild steel rod, a new small tank of propane and oxygen for little jewelers torch. I also bought left and right handed die to thread the pieces.

Im somewhat sure ill be able to bend that rod once i get it rod hot. If i fail, ill let you know. Thanks.

So this "shop" of mine really isnt a shop. I wish i had a real shop. Ill just say that its where i do my work😁. I usually keep it super clean in there because i most do electronics and 3D printing stuff.

Back