What's new
What's new

The Mysterious Clutch Clip, 9" Model

mcload

Hot Rolled
I thought I'd post a continuation of an issue from Jordan429 on the missing clip at the end of the star clutch shaft, South bend 9a feed change lever

I found my clip somewhere on my 9" during disassembly, quite possibly at the bottom of the reservoir; I just don't remember. But I'm glad I saved it.
It seems that this clip is part of the assembly of the semi-circular "expanders". Reference to this clip is made by Steve Brooks in his ILION book
"Guide To Renovating" on page 50, paragraph 64. Although he mentions the existence of this clip on some models, he does not show one in position
which makes me believe that it's not a "sink or swim" part that must be in place for the clutch to work. If you go to the page mentioned, you will see the clutch
expanders that show them sitting somewhat uneven.
I tried to duplicate this in a photo below.

But the whole purpose of this clip is to apparently keep the expanders "straight" and equally separated. It is not designed (necessarily) to hold the expanders in
or to keep them from falling out. My other 9" machine is missing this clip (I think) and the clutch works just fine. (This assembly is obscured by the reservoir cover.)

Note that it is "bowtie' shaped on the ends to fit under the discs. The wire is spring steel (I assume) and is .030 in diameter for those
who feel the need to try to make one. I think this is probably how it was fitted at the factory...it only goes on one way.

By the way, kudos to Jordan429 for identifying the clip in the first place.

Over and Out
PMc

View attachment 328230 View attachment 328228 View attachment 328229 View attachment 328232

Last edited:

Back