What's new
What's new

Mystery 9-inch Lathe

rigby

Plastic
I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I found a 9 inch lathe that I might pick up. The seller is just calling it a 9 inch lathe, but not indicating the brand. Can anyone here help me identify it based on the pictures below?

32682535_188230758494372_3153348088026890240_n.jpg
32367265_188230881827693_8711256955571666944_n.jpg
32768367_188230788494369_4441910943378571264_n.jpg
32765151_188231011827680_1428712165115691008_n.jpg
32829110_188230858494362_1126274574019723264_n.jpg

Interesting! The seller is asking $400 OBO. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Around here South Bend anything normally has an asking price of over $1K regardless of what it is.

Seller says there are a bunch of gears. He included this picture, not sure if there are more of them included. The seller doesn't know anything about the lathe, he says he just got it out of storage.

32900264_188230985161016_8515210338667331584_n.jpg

Interesting! The seller is asking $400 OBO. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Around here South Bend anything normally has an asking price of over $1K regardless of what it is.

The bed is kind of short on it. For most small work, it should be fine. You probably wont find one for much cheaper than that. The price can vary wildly depending on what tooling is included.

For $400 (I'd offer $300 and see if he takes it), I'd get it. If you don't like it you can resell it and not lose money on it.

Thanks bloomautomatic. Space is limited in my little shop. I have access to a larger lathe but I have to drive more than an hour in traffic to use it. It would be nice to have the ability to do small work at home. The seller told me he might clean it up and there are a lot of people interested in it, so I think he's already planning to be firmer on the price than the listing indicates. We shall see.

This is the information he included in the post:

"Measurements:
-9" Max Diameter (over Bed)
-2x 5" 3-Jaw Chucks (one with ID Jaws, one with OD)
-41" Overall Length
-26" Chuck Face to End of Bed
-16" Chuck Face to Tail Stock

Features:
-Power Feed
-Power Thread
-Power Cross Slide .001 Graduations (I think, it may be manual)
-Manual Compound with .001 Graduations
-6 Speeds (Belt/Pulley Combinations)
-The Chucks Thread onto the Lathe (it is most likely a standard size, so you can probably get other chucks)
-Full Set of Collets 1/16-1/2 in 1/32 increments.
-The Gears are Changeable for Different Feedrates & Chasing Different Threads (I don’t know exactly what all Pitches are available but there are alot)
-It currently has a Rocker Tool Post, but there is a T-Slot in the Compound, so an Aloris can easily be fitted."

OK little lathe but will need some TLC. If he doesn't know much about it, for the love of dog, don't let him "clean it up". I wouldn't pay much more than that for it.

I assumed the cleaning up part was an empty threat/sales tactic to convince me to act quickly. It was an unprompted comment from the seller, which usually clues me into the fact that they are planning to be a tough negotiator.

My next question is whether one or two guys in average shape would be able to muscle this into/out of the back of a Jeep. I just measured and it will definitely fit back there, but I don't want to drive around with a lathe in the back of my Jeep until a buddy is available to help me unload it!

The seller told me he might clean it up and there are a lot of people interested in it, so I think he's already planning to be firmer on the price than the listing indicates. We shall see.

Be careful if he "cleans it up". "don't worry, there was some rusty spots on the bed but i ground them all off for you!"

even at $400, it's still a deal with all that - especially if it's what you want. Take $400 in $20's and see what kinda deal you can make.

2 people in decent shape should be able to pick that up and carry it out. I would offer $250, if he balks try $300. It is very similar to the Logan 400/1400, not sure what the differences are in the Logan vs SB 9" lathes.

Page 2 in link I posted above says 375 Lbs for the lightest if that particular model. This is no later light weight 9C

My next question is whether one or two guys in average shape would be able to muscle this into/out of the back of a Jeep. I just measured and it will definitely fit back there, but I don't want to drive around with a lathe in the back of my Jeep until a buddy is available to help me unload it!

I messaged him and asked if he's available to sell it. He replied that tomorrow works for him. After I told him that I can come tomorrow afternoon he replied saying "I will let you know, like I said there was a lot of people interested I have to be fair."

It doesn't sound like I'm going to be picking it up tomorrow.

Don't give up yet, he might just be trying to "work" you. I had a little text conversation with the seller of an antique SB mill a few weeks ago, he is asking WAY too much for it, but he assured me he had an offer of 5K, yet oddly it is still advertised LOL.

Don't give up yet, he might just be trying to "work" you. I had a little text conversation with the seller of an antique SB mill a few weeks ago, he is asking WAY too much for it, but he assured me he had an offer of 5K, yet oddly it is still advertised LOL.

Funny how that works! I guess those strategies must work sometimes. I've sold my fair share of stuff on Craigslist/Facebook over the years. I learned pretty early on that interest means nothing and cash talks, LOL.

I asked him to let me know if he decides to sell it. Not much else I can do. I'm certainly not going to start firing offers at him above the asking price if that's what he has in mind.

I found a 9 inch lathe that I might pick up. The seller is just calling it a 9 inch lathe, but not indicating the brand. Can anyone here help me identify it based on the pictures below?

The lathe is a 1933 or 1934 South Bend Model No. 20 TOOLMAKER. it was the model prior to the introduction of the
Workshop No. 5, it shares some features with the Workshop and some with the 8 inch Junior.
Very good score of a rare lathe, buy it fast...

Link to catalog pages:

1933_Circular_No.9-G

Steve

The lathe is a 1933 or 1934 South Bend Model No. 20 TOOLMAKER. it was the model prior to the introduction of the
Workshop No. 5, it shares some features with the Workshop and some with the 8 inch Junior.
Very good score of a rare lathe, buy it fast...

Link to catalog pages:

1933_Circular_No.9-G

Steve

Seller listed it as sold. This one got away :(

Interestingly, this was a really rare lathe. It is a Toolmaker 20, only made in 1933/34. Part of SB's response to the great depression, this was an enlarged swing version of the 8" Junior. Later development of this lathe became the Model 5, and then the 9" workshop. Lots of things changed on the way- tumble reverse omitted and then reinstated, headstock shape changed, apron and saddle completely changed, cross slide and compound mounting changed, etc.

allan

Back