What's new
What's new

Mystery South Bend

CK0817

Plastic
Good day to all,
I'm in the process of a possible purchase of a South Bend Lathe that I have very little information on. I've contacted grizzly to try and get information based on the model number, catalog number, and serial number, with no avail. I'm wondering if anybody might be able to help me in this process being that I am new to the South Bend machines. Word is that it came from the Ford Motor Company, it was not equipped with quick change gear system, it looks to be a 10in swing, the spine has a inside diameter of about 1-1/4 in, it is a benchtop lathe with an under motor configuration, there's a bed length of 3, and neither the model number, nor catalog number, nor serial number was able to be identified by grizzly. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure whether I should purchase this machine or not, and I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I put money down on it.
Thanks in advance,
CTK
P.S.- I'm not sure how to post pictures, but if someone could walk me through that process and I'll be more than happy to post what I have if it is of any help.

Welcome, if you click on the "Reply to Thread" Button, bottom left. Top row of icons there is an icon for adding images, looks like a little picture. Browse for your pics and the rest should be self explanatory.

Paul

Sorry guys, I'm new to forums and I'm not very technologically advanced haha. The Model number is 810. The Cat number is 197Y. And the serial number 128468 D.W.W.

10" swing,11/16 collet, change gear, underneath motor drive....see pg 39 here-
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3625.pdf

It would have originally been on the cast iron pedestal base with the leg.
It has a Sheldon 10" tailstock( as long as it fits OK )
It will likely if still original have just over a 1" spindle bore...BUT this can be swapped for the large bore spindle from a "heavy 10"...very good to do as the 1" bore spindle has a 1-7/8"-8 thread and back plates are no longer commercially made.
The large bore spindle is 2-1/4"x8 thread and chucks,backplates and all kinds of goodies are easily available.

I like it, very compact and capable little lathe.:)

Oh, and virtually all if not All parts are interchangeable with the "heavy 10"

How much are,they,asking?
I'll buy it if you deliver it.:)

Last edited:
thanks for the link and I greatly appreciate the assistance. A few things I do find odd is that the one I'm looking at does not have the QC gear system, it utilizes a larger chuck and not a collet system, it has a a spline that has an inside diameter of 1.25in, and a few other things. How did you find info on this unit? I can not find any info on the serial number, model number, or catalog number even through Grizzly and their records. Any insight?

Thanks

Info comes courtesy of Vintage Machinery site from scans of old SB literature.

Check the hole in the spindle from the end where the gears are....the end the chuck goes on is the spindle taper, and that is where the collet adapter goes,which is a separate attachment.

How did you find info on this unit? I can not find any info on the serial number, model number, or catalog number even through Grizzly and their records. Any insight?

You have to look at page 39 - that is catalog page, not pdf page
810 is not a legit number
Page 39 clearly shows 197-Y
Screenshot thumbnails illuminate

All there will be on the serial is a general range with some dates. 128468 seems to be about 1942

Thanks to Mr. Wells

http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_db.htm

Attachments

• 197Y page 39.jpg
    197Y page 39.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 197Y Photo.jpg
    197Y Photo.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 197Y text.jpg
    197Y text.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 118
Just to verify the bore through...1.250" doesn't jive with the SB specs..I think you will find that it is really about 1.062" bore.
(See pg 36 of the scan for the specs)
Do check to see if the change gears are there....not a huge deal breaker but will need to take into account if they are needed.

Thanks John, I couldn't figure out how to thumbnail the page.

Yeah I checked that page out. Still doesn't answer where the model 810 comes into play haha. Also I can't find that serial number at all which puzzles me. It's the D.W.W. that is also odd

Yeah it does seem odd right? But I double checked and the measurement is just at 1-1/4 ID. It does come with a bunch of extra gears which is cool though. But there are a few things missing like the tool post, etc

20180809_152957.jpg

I have looked up the serial number using several people and references of information with no avail. The 810 is what the model number is on the ID plate on the side of the lathe. But the three letters are supposedly a part of the serial number per Grizzly and a few other references.

Grizzly doesn't have any idea...they just bought the name and remaining stock.

The DWW is not part of the serial.

the 810 I suspect refers more to the plate itself than the lathe it is on OR the 8 is really a B and refers to a 10" lathe in "B" configuration.

If you post in the thread "serial numbers wanted" Steve Wells may give you a more authoritive reply.

the 810 I suspect refers more to the plate itself than the lathe it is on OR the 8 is really a B and refers to a 10" lathe in "B" configuration.

Thumbnail Illustrates

Attachments

• SB tag and 810.jpg
    SB tag and 810.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 176

Back