Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

iwananew10k
    Yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good deal....just checkin....soooo you gonna get it?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haha, I'm thinking about it. I'm waiting on him to give me a number. I have a number in my head, but I'm not sure what he's going to come up with. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think?
    The very fact that its huge cast iron leg under the head stock has gone missing says some severe stuff is in its history

It is not the big bore 10"

It is not quick change gear box equipped

Sounds like we are down to about $250

5. Likes CK0817 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just me and because I like it but I would probably go to 500 based on the taper attachment and change gears.

I always wanted one of those short bed 10s...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I'm gonna start low and see what he says haha.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well this is very interesting. I was looking for info on a SB lathe I just got and found this post. Then a week later when I had it in the shop and time to find the serial #, I went looking again and re-found this post. Well I now I see have the exact machine being discussed here, #128468. This came from my brother in-law who told me that it was my uncle's, who is now 90 and not in good health so was parting out tools. I am new to machining but have been a wood turner for a while.
    I would really like to clean this machine up as it seems to have been under a car port for a number of years. Looks like it had two paint colors originally, navy gray and a light yellow or cream color. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
    Relating to the tool post being missing, well it's there but was just lost in the 4 big boxes of stuff that I got with it, had a lot of leaves and dirt in the boxes.
    I am a little confused about the discussion of the head stock spindle. It is listed as having 'a 1" hole through spindle'. I am going down to the shop to see what is up with this.
    This lathe needs lots of TLC and some new parts that even I can tell. Have to go and look at the '8' verse'B' thing.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to machining
    Great old info generic to old lathes

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by joegyoung View Post
    Well this is very interesting. I was looking for info on a SB lathe I just got and found this post. Then a week later when I had it in the shop and time to find the serial #, I went looking again and re-found this post. Well I now I see have the exact machine being discussed here, #128468. This came from my brother in-law who told me that it was my uncle's, who is now 90 and not in good health so was parting out tools. I am new to machining but have been a wood turner for a while.
    I would really like to clean this machine up as it seems to have been under a car port for a number of years. Looks like it had two paint colors originally, navy gray and a light yellow or cream color. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
    Relating to the tool post being missing, well it's there but was just lost in the 4 big boxes of stuff that I got with it, had a lot of leaves and dirt in the boxes.
    I am a little confused about the discussion of the head stock spindle. It is listed as having 'a 1" hole through spindle'. I am going down to the shop to see what is up with this.
    This lathe needs lots of TLC and some new parts that even I can tell. Have to go and look at the '8' verse'B' thing.
    Joe
    So you have the lathe that CK0817 posted about on aug. 2018 ?..Was it up for sale before you got it from your brother in-law..? And yes that is interesting, please tell us more about the boxes of stuff that came with the lathe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I have that lathe as the serial numbers are the same and my brother in-law lives in the Winston-Salem NC area. Talking to my brother in Twin cities yesterday and he thinks that this lathe came to my uncles wife from her father. Can't remember where she was from exactly (gone now for 10 years or more) but GA or one of the Carolinas by her speech and as my uncle (Memphis originally) was a George Tech grad in EE. She took it for my uncle when her dad died. Now my uncle is getting ride of stuff as he is 90 and it went to my brother in-law who did not really want it but wanted some one in the family to take it. So here it is now in Asheville NC. Fortunately I have a big shop, 3,000 sq ft and have the room and interest.
    In the boxes was all kinds of stuff, some of which I am just learning the purpose of by reading the 1938 edition of "How to Run a Lathe" -thank you South Bend and the pdf posters. The gears for non-quick change were in the box but not sure if they are complete. Wonder if this could be converted to a 10' quick change with the box I see on all the others. This might be much more convenient. There are things that I can't really id like two cans of small plastic looking disks/pellets one red and the other can remember sitting here. It has a taper attachment of some sort on the back side and although I see reference to such in the book I am way far from really looking into that. The boxes had lots of cutting tools of several kind, mostly the long square bits but also internal thread cutters.
    I have a really basic question, as you face the 4 jaw chuck does it un-thread counter clock wise (normal right hand) or clock wise (this would be lefthand thread)? I have seen things that could be referring to either but a video of normal thread so coming off CCW. Could have ben putting it on I suppose as it was just a short clip. Lefthand thread makes more sense to me given the direction of rotation for cutting. Just trying to know before I really put torque on it to free it.
    Not in the boxes where any collets of any size or draw bar system. So I'll have to look into that to understand the discussion on the first page of this post.
    Well I'll stop as I guess some of the people on this list have jobs or are not history buffs.
    Joe Young

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for posting, that is a very interesting lathe story, Quote "the 4 jaw chuck does it un-thread counter clock wise (normal right hand)"

The photo of the lathe by the first poster shows a threaded spindle..Yes it is a right hand thread..