What's new
What's new

Nameplate screws

lonestar308

Plastic
Anyone know where I can find replacement brass drive screws for the nameplates? Gonna try to refurbish a couple on my 9A.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Search online for "drive screws" or "drive rivets" or "rivet screws."

They come in standard sizes, which are detailed in Machinery's Handbook or elsewhere online. Each screw requires a specific numbered drill size.

BTW, most drive rivets are drilled so they can be driven out backwards from the inside surface. In cases where they are in blind holes, it usually works to Dremel grind a slot across the head and back them out with a screwdriver. Pliers will get them out, but it won't be pretty for the rivets or for the plate getting scratched up.

Good luck!

I have a bunch of drive screws of various sizes. Tell me what size you nee and what color. If I have some that fit your needs I will send them to you for the cost of postage.

If you are near a John Deere Dealer they will have them or can order. Thats were I get them. Used on serial number plates and can get several sizes. They usually come brass plated, I just polish to silver.

Illinoyance,

Thanks for the offer, sorry it's taken me a while to reply.

Best I can tell, I need the following drive screws:

(4) #4-1/4
(6) #0-3/16
(2) #0-1/8

If you have any of those, I'd be much appreciative. Let me know where to send a SASE for them.

Thanks,
Brandon

Just did mine w/replacement plate.
McMaster Carr. Size 0 first- way too small, paint in the holes..
Next size, #2 , 5/32" worked, but a tad too small.
#4 would be way too large. Bigger issue was the nameplate holes were slightly off vertically, but was able to get them in, albeit at an angle.

Reviving an old thread.

I am refreshing a 1941 13"x5' and am in need of the drive screws for the ID tag, QCGB plate and a few others. I'm not sure what the sizes are for the two that are on the gear train cover because, like an idiot, I ran the shop vac before picking them up off the bench and they are gone. :( The others I will be able to measure before losing them.

However, is there a better place to get these other than McMaster or places like it? #1) due to Covid, my McMaster isn't doing customer pickups and shipping charges are ridiculous, and #2 I don't want 100 of each size I need. :)

I think I need like 10 in total.

Probe the holes with the shanks of a number drill set to confirm, but the cone pulley cover on my 13" took #0 X 1/4" drive screws. Honestly $5 for a pack of 100 screws plus a couple extra for shipping isn't all that much in the course of restoring a machine which once cost somebody $18,000 (adjusted) to buy new. The motor and countershaft bearings alone are going to cost you more than that to replace, nevermind a single piece of Rex 95 or Mo-Max to actually use the thing.

Probe the holes with the shanks of a number drill set to confirm, but the cone pulley cover on my 13" took #0 X 1/4" drive screws. Honestly $5 for a pack of 100 screws plus a couple extra for shipping isn't all that much in the course of restoring a machine which once cost somebody $18,000 (adjusted) to buy new. The motor and countershaft bearings alone are going to cost you more than that to replace, nevermind a single piece of Rex 95 or Mo-Max to actually use the thing.

I don't have a set of numbered drill bits just yet. I'll be ordering some soon. I would imagine they are all the same.

I have a few other things I need to get from McMaster. I think I'll just wait and see what else I need and add these to the list. With M-C, it's not just a couple extra, the last time I ordered something small, they charged me $14 to ship $8 worth of stuff.

I did check the size with some fractional bits I have. The 3/32" (.09375") bit was a slip fit in the holes on the casing for the gear train cover.

McMaster's specs say a #0 is .08" and a #2 is .10"

I think I will add some #2 sized ones to my order as well.

Back