What's new
What's new

Nameplates & Metric Plate available

jkull

Aluminum
I have reproduction nameplates for the 9"/10K and 10L lathes. Also available is a reproduction of the Metric Transposing Gear Chart. They are etched brass with raised lettering like the original. I can also make nameplates with the newer SBL logo. Please email for more information.

Jim

2nameplates.jpg

metricplate.jpg

Hi Jim,

Those plates are very impressive!
Do you perchance happen to make them for the single-tumbler 10L as well? I received a 'new' Metric Transposing Gear Chart (No.3) with the NOS trans gearset I rec'd from Rose earlier in the year - it makes my very tired gearbox chart look very beaten-up.
Cheers
TonyS

Jim...

Just wrote a note in the SB nameplates section Paula was nice enough to place at the top of our forum...

I referred those wanting plates to you. Your plates have truly evolved into something beautiful. Thanks for sharing with me, Jim...

Joe

Thanks to all who have placed orders for these plates.

The lubrication charts are now available. The one shown in the photo is chart #441-3 for a 10K lathe. Also available is chart #441-4 for the 10L lathe. It has a couple minor differences.

I will be away during most of December and will be unable to ship from Dec. 5 to Jan. 2.

Thanks, Jim

Lubeplate10K.jpg

Prices:
9"/10K index plate - $50
10L index plate - $55
Lubrication Charts - $35 (Specify which one.)
10L Spindle Speed chart (no photo yet--coming soon) - $20
Shipping - $6.50/order
Brass mounting screws included with each plate.
Satisfaction guaranteed. If not pleased, just return for refund less shipping.

Jim

Jim:
Would like to order one (1) chart #441-3 for a 10K lathe. Please add me to the list and the funds will be coming shortly.

Cheers!
Thadious

Thadious,

You're on the list! I currently have one of these in stock. Email if you'd like additional information.

Jim

Those interested in replacing a missing thread chart on an older single-tumbler Heavy 10 may find the following helpful.

There are two variants of the 10L/10R single-tumbler box. They differ in the configuration of the tumbler arm and the idler gear bearing. What I surmise to be the older configuration, shown below, has a brass-plugged oil hole above the left side of the gear chart:

ST10LThreadChartOlder.jpg

(The brass plugs are often missing. See http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/17/2640.html )

On the variant above the tumbler must be shifted all the way to the left (to the "4-128 TPI" column) so oil squirted in that hole can run down a brass tube and drip on the idler, idler shaft and pinion, by way of a little funnel in the tumbler casting. I've never seen instructions to this effect in print, and suspect many gearboxes (e.g, mine!) wore out simply because oil never reached the idler. Even if you do know the trick, the funnel is easily plugged with dirt and hard to inspect or clear.

The other version, which I guess is newer, has no front oil hole above the chart, but has an extra Gits oiler on the right side wall. The new oiler feeds a tube which dumps out over the "6-192 TPI" slot. In addition to more robust mechanical design (beefier tumbler, double-ended support for the idler shaft, and a needle bearing in the idler), SBL printed oiling instructions in the (previously blank) field at right of the 6-192 column. Here is the second variant:

ST10LThreadChartNewer.jpg

The threading charts are identical except for this added oiling instruction, which is obviously incompatible with the older gearbox design.

Mike

Hi Jim,
Just to confuse the issue further re the single tumbler Heavy 10 chart, where the line in both the charts shown here say "THREADS PER INCH - FEEDS IN THOUSANDTHS", my Dec 1941 chart states "SCREW THREADS AND POWER TURNING FEEDS".

Also, my top line states '10" SOUTH BEND QUICK CHANGE GEAR LATHE', not '10 INCH'. How many more variations are out there I wonder?

The vertical text at far right on the top photo states "AUTOMATIC CROSS FEED EQUALS...', while on the lower photo it states "POWER CROSS FEED EQUALS...". My December '41 chart has the "AUTOMATIC" option (but there is definitely nothing automatic about how one has to set it!).

My QCGB has the oiling hole above the word 'inch' on the chart, but has only 2 gits oilers on the left side of the gearcase. Would be happy with either version - can you change the '192' to '128' for those that want it?

Cheers,
TonyS.

Tony,

If you can send me a photo or drawing of what you need I can copy the text from the photo or drawing.

Jim

Tony-

Thanks, I totally missed that word swap. To spin the bard,
"...more index plates in Heaven and Earth..."

As to counting up oilers, I see in the pre-'39 catalog pics (heavy 9,11,13) some variants with few or no Gits oilers at all. Can't see clearly but some of these appear to have setscrews in the shaft centers which are meant to be removed to squirt oil into the shaft (cross-drilled to deliver it to the OD and, further down, to the loose gears in the cone).

My '43 10L box has two such setscrew shaft oilers, plus the two brass plugs (one over "INCH", one in the top lever pivot), plus a porcupine's share of Gits hatches.

Alas, no oiling scheme did a damn bit of good when folks started clearing machines off with the air hose. Not much to save you if you are going to blow chips and filth up into an open gear train. Grrrr. :mad:

Just received my QC gearbox plate from Jim and I must say it is excellent. This put the finishing touch on my 9" "restoration". Thanks, Jim!

Jim!
Just received my Xmas presents! What a pair!!!

The quality is superb and the readability of the small font size feed numbers on the QCGB is very, very good. You probably just saved me having to go out and buy new glasses next month!

I hope Father Xmas is very good to you this year as well. Have a good time in P.R.

Many thanks,

TonyS.

This is just a reminder that I will be unable to make or ship any more plates for the remainder of December. We will return in January and I will again have plates available for the 9", 10K, and 10L including several variations. Will also have lube plates, metric transposing plates, spindle speed plates. Other plates available upon request.

Thanks to all who have ordered plates to date and have a Merry Christmas.

Jim

10L and 10K metric convrsion plates

I would be interested in purchasing metric gear tables for the 10L extended range gear box and the 10 K model A. Please let me know what you charge for those.
I have a paper version for the 10k. Nothing for the 10L. Can you send a photo of that. I just want to make sure it will apply to my lathe
thanks
Danny

Back