What's new
What's new

Need 16" SB Quick Change Gear Housing

MPmachine

Plastic
I have a 16" X 12 SB lathe mid 40's vintage, it fell over while moving and I need a housing for the single tumbler QC box if anyone sees one. Also a carriage handwheel and the handle for the flat belt tensioner.

Thanks,

You’ll be hard pressed to find just the housing for the gear box, you’ll likely need to buy a complete box and swap out parts in better condition and sell off the rest or just use it as is and save yourself the trouble. Can you braze the pieces that broke or are they completely shattered? That’s a pretty hefty machine, I’d be surprised if the gearbox housing broke without damaging any of the innards.

Edit: if the carriage handwheel broke from a 16” x 12’ lathe fell on top of it I would be very concerned about damage you may not see yet. That’s a tremendous amount of weight falling on the side of the apron, I’d expect to see bent lead screws, snapped castings, broken shafts, maybe even some damage to the Vee ways when the carriage pushed against it.

But if it really is fine and all you need is the parts listed, I’d see if Ted has any of those pieces at [email protected] or on here as SBlatheman (I think). There’s also usually a good amount of 16” parts floating around on eBay usually.

I haven't completely dismantled it yet, the gears appear ok just looking. Brazing is an option was just hoping to find a replacement. I would be willing to by a complete one if someone has one. Thanks

I haven't completely dismantled it yet, the gears appear ok just looking. Brazing is an option was just hoping to find a replacement. I would be willing to by a complete one if someone has one. Thanks

I’m not 100% certain, you’d need to verify.. but there is a complete double tumbler gearbox on eBay, I believe you can swap yours for that but it might require a different lead screw. I’m not really certain, again Ted would know. I’d also take a look at lostcreekmachine.com, they sell off used parts and last time I looked they had some parts for a 16”.

The two things I would look for in the gearbox would be broken teeth or bent shafts or bent pinion gear. Did your tumbler arm survive the fall?

The tumbler arm snapped in half, I may be able to salvage it or make another one if I can't find a good one. I would like to upgrade to the double tumbler box if possible, will look on Ebay. The apron screws that attach it to the saddle sheared off, they look to be cast iron so I assumed they were made to shear, not sure if that's the case. Thanks

The tumbler arm snapped in half, I may be able to salvage it or make another one if I can't find a good one. I would like to upgrade to the double tumbler box if possible, will look on Ebay. The apron screws that attach it to the saddle sheared off, they look to be cast iron so I assumed they were made to shear, not sure if that's the case. Thanks

I don’t believe the fasteners are cast iron but I could be wrong. If they sheared I’d look for damage to the gearing for the power cross feed and lateral feed. That’s a lot of force to shear those bolts. I’d be amazed if everything survived.

That would be great, where do you live? I live in a South Mississippi, would gladly pay shipping.

Back