What's new
What's new

Need Cross slide set screw for SB 9" Model B // Without Taper attachment

laserman2431

Plastic
Hello friends.

I am restoring a 1949 SB 9" Model B.

The cross slide brass nut should have a screw that pushes a wedge against the inside of the hole where the nut sits. Called the "lock screw."

Mine is missing and I can't find one for sale at any of the usual sites. I can't even find a photo of that screw.

Does anyone have any advise about where to locate that screw?

I prefer to buy one. If that is not possible, I will have to make it. Does anyone know the specs? Thread diameter and TPI? angle of the cone at the end?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Answered your duplicate post, might as well put it here as well, in case one gets deleted.

I would think Ted would be your best bet for one, but here's a picture of the one out of my 9" model A, of similar vintage, should you decide to make one.
It's .437" long, and you'll notice in the picture that the point of the taper (60 deg.) is not a sharp one. The threads are 5/16 - 24 and the screw slot is .060-.065 wide by about the same depth.
Good luck
CWC(4)
View attachment 267754

Thanks for the great information. I have another question. I made a lock screw according to the dimensions you gave me. It seems to do a good job of locking the nut into the opening, but it sticks up when it is all the way in (see photos). Is this correct? Should it be flush with the surface, or below? I don't think it will interfere with rotation of the compound.

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail.jpg

I found a couple photos on eBay that look like the lock screw sticks up. I don't know if those screws are unscrewed for disassembly. See below.

s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg

Your screw should be fine if it sticks up a thread or 2. The originals have a slight radius or "dome" shape to the top (slotted) end of the screw. If you filed yours a little to get rid of the burr edge, it will be fine.
CWC(4)

Back