What's new
What's new

Need A Favor....Spindle Tap

mcload

Hot Rolled
Hope I'm not asking too much, but I have a spindle protector that will only screw on halfway before it tightens up.
Threads look good so I don't know where the issue is exactly. It is 1.5" x 8TPI.
Does anyone own a tap that they wouldn't mind running through this for me? I'll pay both ways and throw in some
lunch money.
:cheers:

Thanks!

PMc

View attachment 332169

Don't have one myself but I just saw that they are 105 bucks on McMaster-Carr.

That isn't too bad! MMC is great for the selection but they kill me on shipping out here. They only use one shipping service and it's not the cheapest...by a long shot!

Hope I'm not asking too much, but I have a spindle protector that will only screw on halfway before it tightens up.
Threads look good so I don't know where the issue is exactly. It is 1.5" x 8TPI.
Does anyone own a tap that they wouldn't mind running through this for me? I'll pay both ways and throw in some
lunch money.
:cheers:

Thanks!

PMc

View attachment 332169

That looks like it only has about 4 threads to it. I've had chips embedded in mine before that made it hard to screw on. I used a thread gauge to scrape the thread clean and found some things to pick out with a scribe.

That looks like it only has about 4 threads to it. I've had chips embedded in mine before that made it hard to screw on. I used a thread gauge to scrape the thread clean and found some things to pick out with a scribe.

Yes, checking for chips was the first thing I did. However, I do see some damage to the threads, but wouldn't have
thought it's enough to create an issue. But I guess I was wrong. (see photo)

Thanks.

View attachment 332177

When I got my Heavy 10L it came with an extra spindle protector which had apparently been shop made to replace the original. It had been heat-treated and, of course, it distorted enough that it wouldn't fit. I chucked it up and single pointed it, removing the chuck from the spindle to test the fit. It took a little while but worked perfectly.

Sorry, late to the dance. I have one if Tommy hasn't already shipped.
If you're anywhere near Austin. . . but let me lay hands on later today.
I'll pm later today after verifying
lsneon

Sorry, late to the dance. I have one if Tommy hasn't already shipped.
If you're anywhere near Austin. . . but let me lay hands on later today.
I'll pm later today after verifying
lsneon

Thank you sir! Tommy has already sent his, so I'm covered.
I do appreciate your offer Isneon.

There are a couple of these protectors on eBay now, but I was outbid on one of them.
Instead, I decided to make my own from a1.5" x 8 tpi nut. I bought a couple.
More fun anyway!
:)

PMc

Found mine right where it was supposed to be. Thought as I closed up, maybe you should
make sure even though if was clearly marked

TIGER
1 1/2-8
bunch numbers

I didn't know where this tap had come from or if I had ever used it.
Grabbed my spindle protector - couldn't get it to start smoothly, hhmmmm...
Tried it on a 3 jaw, same prob. Felt like it was trying to cut on the leading edge.
This was all by hand. Got a magnifier to inspect thinking it had probably been dropped
or some such. Nothing really stood out. Anyway, glad Tommy got you covered and will
report back if I figure out this.

Back