What's new
What's new

Need help with a 10L lead screw gear

piniongear

Stainless
I have removed and replaced my 10L saddle, apron and cross feed. No big problems there.

Next I removed and cleaned the gear box.
Getting the stack of 10 gears and the additional 6 gears at the end of the shaft back in the gear box was a real challenge!
But I finally got it to go together.

Now comes the problem..... Trying to insert the lead screw, then the half moon key.
I cannot get the keyed gear to go on the shaft because the teeth do not align with the 10 gear stack of gears.
I noticed the teeth on the 10 gear stack up do not align with each other and this is what is preventing me from getting the screw gear to go on.
Can anyone offer help as to what I may have done wrong?

All I can think of is I may have flipped one (or more) of the gears, 6 of which have the dowel pin running through them.
From what I can tell I need the teeth on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th largest gears to align for the screw gear to go on. These gear teeth do not presently align and that prevents the gear from boing on.
Thank you,
piniongear

I got the problem fixed.
I found 2 gears whose valley aligned and my screw gear went into that valley, but the next gear had a tooth blocking any more advancement.
I then rotated the stack of 10 gears until suddenly the needed gear positioned itself allowing my screw gear to enter it's valley and find home. It was a bit like a 'hunting gear' arrangement.
Great relief because I did not want to remove the gears and start over.
pg

Back