What's new
What's new

Need Help in buying a SB 9C!

Just_A_Dude

Plastic
Good day all, this is my first post. I'm about to maybe purchase a relatively good condition SB 9C. Here is some info about it:

Serial Number: 19148NCR9
Catalog Number: 415RC (not quite sure of the last 2 digits/letters)
Bed Lenght: 4 1/2 ft
Price: $1100 CAD
Included in price: 3 jaw chuck, lantern tool post, 2 cutters, 1 wrench, 1 dead center.

The lathe is in relatively good condition, but there are a couple of things I don't know if I should walk away from it or not:

-The belt wouldn't track on the biggest counter-shaft pulley. I think it might be because it wasn't perfectly parallel with the spindle;

-The handle on the tailstock wheel is broken (no big deal I can make another one;

-The way are quite in good shape, except for that mark (see picture). I'm unsure how this affect the precision of the ways...I tighthen the binding screw of the carriage until I was able to move it just a bit and moved the carriage from the headstock to the tailstock. There was a tiny bit of binding towards the tailstock...

-the current (or previous) owner definitely hit a chuck (the current one doesn't have any marks) with the compound (see picture). There a bit a binding in the compound, I don't know if I should be worried about this or not;

-I had some issues engaging the half nut, but I don't know if its because I'm a noob or if the lathe have issues. the leadscrew is in good condition with no obvious excessive wear marks. I wasn't able to properly inspect the half nut but it seems in ok condition;

Bottom line, I think this lathe doesn't worth the price asked, but I might be wrong, and should I walk away from it due to the mark in the bed? that is my biggest doubt.

thanks for your help!

Seb

Resized_20180223_222730.jpgResized_20180223_222540.jpgResized_20180223_222358(1).jpg

Car2,

I did also wiggle the carriage to see how much play there was and it is not too bad. The leadscrew was turning straight. I didn't check how the compound was tighten down, I'll see if I can go check it out again, and get more pictures. Thanks!

There's hardly a small South Bend alive that hasn't suffered a clash between the chuck and that corner of the compound. I wouldn't get too upset about that.

However, a 9C is a change gear lathe (for threading) and you didn't mention anything about the gear package that's included. If there is no set of change gears or if it's not complete I'd look elsewhere unless you never intend to do any threading.

You mention that the drive belt slips off the largest of the three pulleys on the compound. You might want to find out why that's happening. I could just be a really poor belt or a poor belt adjustment or it might be in indicator of headstock bearings that are too tight. Check the spindle rotation with the belt off the pulleys. it should be velvety smooth and should coast a couple of turns if you spin it by hand. If not, you'll want to find out the condition of the bearings before you spend money on it.

indeed there is no gear that will come with it except what is already on the lathe.

I really don't have a warm fuzzy feeling for this so I'll pass this one out. Thanks a bunch for your help gents!

I'll wait until I see a 9A, because I will be doing lots of threading so..

looks like not a whole lot to pick from near you.. Gear set perhaps 200 USD, likely want a 4 jaw another 100 to 500 depending on quality. A very good 9 would not be so bad at $1,000 with having enough accessories to do what you need.

I wonder what the duty buying a USA lathe?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/...28/1334353552?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Agree a short lathe 28" and at $3600 not that good a price..but it may be a nice machine..or not..

I know there's nothing around me, but I don't mind driving 10-12 hrs to get something that makes sense, even going in the states. $3600 is a bit above my budget, I'd like to keep it around $1500 CAD, or my wife will kill me, literally...!

I posted comments here back a couple years ago when I bought my 9C. Thought it was a steal at just over $200. After spending another $1,400 to make it useable, I might say I was the one robbed. Had to buy motor, horz drive, full stack of change gears, switch, tooling, etc, etc. Still missing the gear cover but I decided to stop spending for the time being. So now I'm over the feelings of larceny and love its useful for a range of turning and threading work.
I do agree with the comments that it does look a bit beat up, so a $1,100 price point w/o change gears would make me pause. A 9A does sound attractive, and if it has a taper attachment, all the better.

Why even try?

That SB is cool, but ANCIENT...very slow,very small spindle,uncommon spindle nose,O series apron parts non obtainable and due to them being entirely open and exposed so they are usually worn to heck.

A very decent machine that commonly comes up in your area are Standard Modern 11's, that's a nice little lathe.

I think you have the South Bend jones...nothing wrong with that, but will require you to confess and pay penance.:)

If you like that 13" pay no more than 1500, and that's if it's as nice as it looks....and the suggestion to cross the border is something to consider.

Good luck with your search.:)

yeah, you're right. I might have the South Bend jones...and I don't mind going in the US at all, I'm actually looking on the surrounding states Craigslist to see what might come up. I'm not afraid to drive 6 hrs for a good machine. I'm military, so I'm used to drive ''long'' distances to achieve my goals :)

I used a Standard Modern 13x40 (I think it was a 13x40, its been years and years now) when I was in school, and I loved it. I recall doing knurling for the first time and be like wooooah. yeah... anyhow.

So, as you all probably understand, I'm somewhat new to this gig, and I want to start good and learn from you all. What lathe manufacturer should I be looking for then? Any recommendation on what to stay away from?

I'll be doing lots of threading, model parts, general stuff, etc. I need to put the lathe in my basement, so I need something that can be broken down ''easily'' and doesn't weight 2000 lbs. I'm somewhat limited in space, so a 5' bed is pretty much the max length I can go with. I can stretch to 6', but I'll have a good explanation to give to the wife.

Broaden your search area, it will help. LOL I have three SB's and drove 1200mi., 900mi., and 500mi. one way for each, so the round trip was of course double. LOL
But each time I got a nice lathe. The first one and the longest trip, was pristeen in wear with only paint chips. The second one had next to no wear and the third one just cosmetic marks on the bed.
Good ones are out there if you are willing to travel. My wife and I just make it a roadtrip vacation, we both like to travel.

this showed up
serial number 222xxNAR9, I supposed the xx means he can't read the number. 3 1/2 ' bed, a bit smaller than I really want but I can deal with that.

South Bend 9-A lathe - tools - by owner - sale

here are some more pictures of the ways
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I will take off points due to the short bed, and also because there is close to no tooling coming with it. I think to offer 700-900 US. Does that make sense? 1350 doesn't I think.

this guy is 8hr from me, I really don't want to make that trip and realise that I got scrap metal to potentially bring back home.

thanks for your help.

Back