What's new
What's new

Need help identifying a lathe attachment

B9W

Plastic
Hello all. I'm new here as I just bought a 1941 South Bend B9W lathe. I t came with a box of odds and sods including a steady rest the mystery tool in the pictures bellow. It clamps onto the ways like the steady rest and has an outer collar that when threaded forward presses three clamping pegs inwards. It also has a removable pin in the center bore that has a nicely machined dome on one end and a knurled perimeter on the other end.

Can anyone identify its use for me?

Cheers
Paul

IMG_20161107_184528.jpgIMG_20161107_184524.jpgIMG_20161107_184548.jpgIMG_20161107_184605.jpg

For turning starter or generator commutors??? Domed shaft for keeping shaft in place, if held by center at chuck end.

Quick setup for a garage type shop, working on shafts with no center hole in end...

Does not look SB, and steady rest has same paint. And is also not SB.. See the V groove on flat way??

Looks like they are for a 10 or 12 in lathe..

For turning starter or generator commutors??? Domed shaft for keeping shaft in place, if held by center at chuck end.

Quick setup for a garage type shop, working on shafts with no center hole in end...

Does not look SB, and steady rest has same paint. And is also not SB.. See the V groove on flat way??

Looks like they are for a 10 or 12 in lathe..

Yeh I noted that the Steady rest has a v-groove on both sides. As for colour, the lathe has three different coats of paint on it ranging from the original grey, through a white that matches the steady-rest and other tool and finally the green. But all that being said, it is likely that I have a mixture of tools here as they were all just in a box cleaned out of an old man's basement.

Thanks for the response.

Hello all. I'm new here as I just bought a 1941 South Bend B9W lathe. I t came with a box of odds and sods including a steady rest the mystery tool in the pictures bellow. It clamps onto the ways like the steady rest and has an outer collar that when threaded forward presses three clamping pegs inwards. It also has a removable pin in the center bore that has a nicely machined dome on one end and a knurled perimeter on the other end.

Can anyone identify its use for me?

Cheers
Paul

View attachment 183882View attachment 183883View attachment 183884View attachment 183885

That part is the tailstock from a Frank Wood Trucut armature lathe.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/frankwood/
Charles

Back