What's new
What's new

Need help with pulley

mikedell

Plastic
I have a 16 SB lathe I’m rebuilding and painting and have ran into a snag. On my underdrive I’m trying to reinstall my large 3 belt motor pulley the one with the taper pin. Problem is I can’t get the shaft to go through the pulley. When I removed it I used a puller, and didn’t think much of it because it’s been on the shaft for 60 plus years.

But now that everything is painted, new bearings etc, I can’t get the pulley on for anything. So my question is what am I missing? Is there some trick to getting it back on?

Shaft is spotless, no rust,

Is the pulley fitted with a taper lock style bushing?

I have a 16 SB lathe I’m rebuilding and painting and have ran into a snag. On my underdrive I’m trying to reinstall my large 3 belt motor pulley the one with the taper pin. Problem is I can’t get the shaft to go through the pulley. When I removed it I used a puller, and didn’t think much of it because it’s been on the shaft for 60 plus years.

But now that everything is painted, new bearings etc, I can’t get the pulley on for anything. So my question is what am I missing? Is there some trick to getting it back on?

Shaft is spotless, no rust,

You could always try laying the pulley in the sun and letting it get as warm as possible, then quickly move to try and put it on the shaft.

FWIW

-Ron

As mentioned above, use a plumbing fitting brush of the proper size (1 in.?)to clean pulley bore,then put the pulley in the oven at 150-200 deg. put on leather gloves and push pulley on shaft, trying to keep taper pin holes aligned. PB

Back