What's new
What's new

need info on a 9 inch serial # 50044

jimg101455

Plastic
i cannot find any info on recent purchase.cat.# 130-ZB .from the serial # it appears to be 1931-1937.tag on the cover is stamped 9 inch 3 1/2 foot bed.the lathe is in incredible shape.was mounted on a homemade wood stand with underdrive.looks to be original paint.i will post pics later after work.any info would be great.jim

awaiting pic confirmation but I believe you have an O series 9" standard change gear,simplex drive lathe.

IMG_1085.jpg a few photos,thanks for the fast respone.overall condition is really nice.still has scraping on the entire bed,cross-slide and compound.all gears are like new.i dont think it is repainted due to the fact that mechanically it is like new.there is a coat of glyptol and a coat of grey .what do you think.

IMG_1090.jpgmore pics-i hope

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 181
I was *almost* right...but almost rarely counts.:)

Not simplex drive, you have a bench mount under drive 9" 0 series standard change gear lathe...and a very fine looking one at that!

see pg 23 here- courtesy of SBLworkshop-
http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1934_cat_94/1934_cat_94.pdf
thanks again for the response.the serial # leads me to believe 1931 not that it matters.

the lathe has full set of rivett collets and change gears(like new),steady and follow rests ,4 jaw and centers.original tool post.i am building a solid bench and mounting everything soon.i have 5 other lathes ,not sure if i have room for this one.thanks again for help.jim

Did you get it as a "basket case", or is that your doing?
as found,torn down,washed and oiled.ready to mount on original early bench i found last week.this is available.by far the cleanest original south bend i have seen and i have been a mechanic for 45 years.did south bend use this color originally. jim

I could be wrong (lot of that going around at my house lately) but I do not believe that to be an original South Bend color from the 1930's. Regardless, still looks to be a very nice lathe.

I could be wrong (lot of that going around at my house lately) but I do not believe that to be an original South Bend color from the 1930's. Regardless, still looks to be a very nice lathe.
i did not think it was.apparently someone repainted it ,did a really nice job.it looks neat and professional.many hours involved in such a detailed paint job.i was contemplating a repaint but decided to match the base to the existing lathe color.at this point its more about the condition of the mechanical s than the color.

that bench and upright is one of a matched pair of devlieg cast iron angle plates with adjustable upper.in perfect shape.weigh about a ton each.i came back to my post on the lathe to check the pics .i am cleaning out my shop and the angle plates and lathe are available.cannot imagine what the freight would be on the plates.i am contemplating laying the plates down on legs to make a 2 ton 10 foot long cast iron shop table if they do not sell.

Back