What's new
What's new

Need A New Motor For My SB Heavy 10

taildragger

Plastic
I need to replace the motor on my 1968 Vintage SB Heavy 10.
I have searched the forum for possible replacements but have not found the answer I am looking for.
The motor that was on the lathe that I believe was original is a Marathon 1-1/2 HP 110/220 volt motor. I contacted Marathon and the part number does not register with their current catalog. I would like to replace it with a similar motor. The lathe is being powered by 220 volts. I do not have any interest in VFD. I am running a single pulley off the motor which is rated at 1730 RPM.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Taildragger

There is no "1451" NEMA frame size motor. It's most likely a "145T" which is a fairly common item in the 1 - 5 HP range. You can find them on eBay or at some of the surplus outlets such as Surplus Center. Just make sure that the motor you buy is reversible because not all of them are. Reversibility depends upon how the starting windings are wired with the run windings inside the motor. If you can't get at the leads for the start winding then you won't be able to reverse the motor.

Doberman -
You are correct. The frame is a 145T. The stamping on the plate is so old I did not see the top of the T.
Thanks
Taildragger

IMO you are extremely limited with a single ph motor and only a 1 step motor pulley, were I in your place and wanted to stay single ph I would get a 56 frame 3/4 to 1 HP motor and a original 2 step motor pulley.

I have seen guys hammer on a pulley and so harm a brand new/used motor. Some times/often a little fine file de-bugging shaft is needed to properly fit a pulley, a damaged pulley repaired for a close slip fit with a little oil.... or tossed in the dumpster.

If using a double set screw "2 screw" written on pulley face. Good to pull set screw all the way out and check for double set when taking off pulley.

I agree there's little reason to purchase a 145T motor for that lathe which is going to be quite expensive. A 3/4 - 1 HP 56 frame motor would be more than adequate for the job. The mount holes for the 56 frame motor are different in 1 direction, same in the other and I've seen 56 frame motors with multiple mount holes in the foot. The mount surface to center of motor shaft dimension is the same for either frame motor.

Again, make sure the motor you buy is reversible.

Back