What's new
What's new

Unknown Dial Indicator ID

JeffofCT

Plastic
I recently purchased a SB 9" Model B along with a nice collection of tooling. Among the parts was a dial indicator with quite a bit of wear on the threading. At first, thought it had been removed but it is indeed not. I reviewed the SB catalog pics of the era and found no obvious matches. Perhaps it will be immediately obvious to a member of this group. IMG_0656.jpgIMG_0653.jpgIMG_0652.jpg

That's a thread lead position dial, and should be kept if you ever want to thread parts. It mounts to the right side of the lathe carriage, you should see a tapped hole and short post sticking from the carriage where that part fits (at least, I think it mounts that way on S/B's - haven't run one in ages).

BTW, we tend to refer to a specific type of measuring tool as "dial indicators", so your thread title through me for a second.

"dial indicators" - Google Search

That is a Sheldon thread dial.
It isn't worn, that's a real worm wheel and that is what they look like.
It hugs the leadscrew for proper contact.
If it will fit use it.

EDIT- it does look like the lower edge of the worm wheel(gear) was dragging along the leadscrew and wore it down some, but it doesn't matter...if you use it be sure to install it so it is centered on the leadscrew.

Last edited:
Please pay particular attention to 10Ks edit about centering the worm gear on the lead screw. The keyway on the SBL leadscrew is capable of catching the teeth of the worm gear and causing the leadscrew to be damaged.SBL worm gears are wide to prevent it.Im not sure that a Sheldon worm gear is made that way.Nobody wants a bent leadscrew.

Thought that was funny at first..but it is really a dial indicator, just not the kind we first think of.
Be sure the spindle is getting oil at both side before fire up.
Read How to Run a lathe .. free down load but for only a few bucks good to buy the book.

Back