What's new
What's new

Need new motor for my Southbend Modle C 9"

azitizz

Plastic
Motor started smoking and turning very slowly. Windings must be shot. Appears to be the original motor. Its so beat up and oily and theres no nameplate on it anymore.

I'm not sure where to start on searching for a replacement. Its currently a 120V. I'm able to switch directions and other than that, I'm still a beginner at this. So not sure what to look for.
Any help or suggestions would be great!
Thanks.

Does your motor have a 2-step pulley? If so then look for a motor with the same size shaft so the pulley will swap over.

Then look for motors with the same frame size. Then find one in the configuration/hp you desire.

Now would be a good time to go 3-phase.

Does your motor have a 2-step pulley? If so then look for a motor with the same size shaft so the pulley will swap over.

Then look for motors with the same frame size. Then find one in the configuration/hp you desire.

Now would be a good time to go 3-phase.

It only has a single small pulley. looks like 1/4 shaft. What I was more wondering was if there were some limits to HP I should look out for.

I Imagine I wouldn't want something so heavy duty it will tear apart components, and not too light duty (as it is now, probably because its in bad shape)

Whats the benefit to going 3ph ? I would need a drive for it then wouldnt I?

Anyone know the specs of the original motor?
Thanks

Go to your local scrap yard, any single phase 120/240V motor, capacitor start, maybe capacitor run, 1750 rpm, in the 1/2 to 1 hp range should work. Bonus if shaft fits your existing pulley, but pulleys are cheap. Some motors are not reversible, that is usually indicated on tag. The reason some like the 3ph motors is because you get to use a vee f'd dee, lots of pretty lights and you don't have to get your hands dirty doing that oh so cumbersome changing belt thing.

??? most guys like 3ph for the smoother operation, and drive them with VFD to "generate" the 3ph....you don't get away from changing belts, but you do get the added bonus of being able to select belt position nearest to theoretical then tune "to the chips" via the VFD.

was I ripped off? I didn't have any pretty lights.:(

but ya, to just get up and running any 1/4-1/2 HP 1725ish motor will do.

If you want to make the new motor variable speed so you have more speed control on your lathe you could go with a 3ph motor and a VFD or a DC motor with a DC motor speed controller.

If you are happy with the way the lathe ran before the smoke escaped I would just get another 1ph motor. The challenge will be to find a reversible 1ph motor so you don't loose your reversing capability. All 3ph motors are reversible because of the nature of 3ph motors.

You could consider getting a new quality pulley for the new motor if there was any vibration with the old pulley. This would give you a bigger selection of motors to choose from and possibly a bit smoother running if your current pulley is not in top shape.

I would recommend staying under 10hp for the replacement motor.

??? most guys like 3ph for the smoother operation, and drive them with VFD to "generate" the 3ph....you don't get away from changing belts, but you do get the added bonus of being able to select belt position nearest to theoretical then tune "to the chips" via the VFD.

was I ripped off? I didn't have any pretty lights.:(

but ya, to just get up and running any 1/4-1/2 HP 1725ish motor will do.

I've run single phase lathes, and 3 phase, did not notice anything "smoother" about the 3ph, but then I was using a rotary converter, so maybe I was doing it wrong:rolleyes5:

Back