Need new tailstock quill, South Bend 10k lathe
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need new tailstock quill, South Bend 10k lathe

Does anyone know a source for new parts for the South Bend 10k lathe? I need a new tailstock quill because the #2 morse taper won't grab tight anymore. Otherwise, is there a place that can regrind, or sleeve the existing quill? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check very carefully for any swarf etc. in the bore.. it's a good idea to keep something in there so you don't get chip in there, which then gets ground in when you stick a taper in it.
    If this doesn't work, you might consider using a #2 morse taper reamer to clean your bore up. Be a real good idea to indicate it in dead nuts in a four jaw if it takes more than a swipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check with Brian at Miller Machine.

http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com/

Brian reworked the taper in the tailstock spindle of my Heavy-10 recently.... And the cost was more that reasonable.

alg4884

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless I’m mistaken, can’t you clean up that quill with a #2 Morse reamer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The tailstock taper on my 10K wouldn't hold when I first got the machine, but cleaning it with a 2 Morse reamer fixed it. On my lathe the quill seems to be hardened, but the reamer cleaned out the crud that was causing it to slip without touching the metal of the taper itself. I actually tried to get the reamer to take a slight cut in the taper, but no luck, too hard.

Blob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are going to ream it dont ream it by placing the reamer in the chuck and driving the quil into it you will mess up the taper. remove the quill and do it by hand with lots of oil and dont go to deep if you go to deep you will have to cut the quill back because your tooling wont fit properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had the same experience on a 10K I once owned. The reamer cleaned the offending ridge off, but would not cut the socket of the quill. On a soft WW2 10L quill, it cleaned the socket & cut it deeper. If this happens to you, you can turn the front of the quill off as a cheap fix. You will loose some reach for drilling, but it is cheaper than a new quill.

Ted

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know Boxford quills can be had from lathes.uk

There is quite a bit of interchangeability b/t Bford and Sb.

bb

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is an easy fix if you don't have any other options. I drilled/tapped mine and put a 1/8" brass pipe plug in the quill just far enough in to let the tang slide by thus keeping the drill from spinning. Then file it flush to the quill. How to pics here>>>>
    http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/sou...os/browse/cecf
    Now if you use a dead center it will need a flat ground on one side like a tanged drill bit and you may need to make a puller to remove it if it gets stuck in the taper.
    Regular live centers will come out if you slide a small tool between the back of the center and the tailstock housing and turn the spindle in it will pop free. Drill bits pop free just like normal. Also the quill sticks out about a 1/4" from full retraction but thats not a prob either...Bob
    Pic 1 Center drilling with my cross slide hole driller
    Pic 2 1/8" brass pipe plug installed
    Pic 3 Filled down flush
    Pic 4 Quill stick out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e9c9-1-.jpg   a962-1-.jpg   4942-1-.jpg   a2dc-1-.jpg