What's new
What's new

Need Parts for 10K gear box

chippuller

Plastic
Hey Folks,
A few days ago I had an unfortunate (not to mention dumb!) and catastrophic crash on my 10K lathe. I was knurling, power feeding towards the tail stock and while I was focusing on keeping the knurling wheels lubricated, the carriage ran into the tail stock, which I had locked down pretty well. As I heard the lathe slow down and 'groan', I immediately hit the off switch, but not quick enough.... just as it was coming to a halt, I heard a 'squeal and a pop' :(
I won't go into the gory details (I am attaching an X-rated photo), but I need some parts for the quick change gearbox on my 1960's vintage South Bend 10K lathe (serial number 36832K).

The part #'s are;

AS619NK1 compound pinion 16 tooth. (assembly of 32 tooth gear, 16 tooth gear and pins)

AS622NK1 pinion gear 16 tooth. (assembly of 32 tooth gear, 16 tooth gear and pins)

I saw the list of potential sources of SB parts here on the forum but assume that most of them are watching this forum and thought I would just send one e-mail request.
I sure hope I can find some reasonable quality replacements. or has anyone found equivalent gears in a standard gear catalog? what I really need is one 16 tooth pinion and one 32 tooth pinion.... I think I could press the old gear set apart and replace the damaged gear)
I sure hope I don't have to drag out my old Ellis dividing head and begin the process of learning how to cut gears!?!?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Chippuller

Attachments

• 20181026_214807_resized.jpg
    20181026_214807_resized.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 132
Hey Folks,
A few days ago I had an unfortunate (not to mention dumb!) and catastrophic crash on my 10K lathe. I was knurling, power feeding towards the tail stock and while I was focusing on keeping the knurling wheels lubricated, the carriage ran into the tail stock, which I had locked down pretty well. As I heard the lathe slow down and 'groan', I immediately hit the off switch, but not quick enough.... just as it was coming to a halt, I heard a 'squeal and a pop' :(
I won't go into the gory details (I am attaching an X-rated photo), but I need some parts for the quick change gearbox on my 1960's vintage South Bend 10K lathe (serial number 36832K).

The part #'s are;

AS619NK1 compound pinion 16 tooth. (assembly of 32 tooth gear, 16 tooth gear and pins)

AS622NK1 pinion gear 16 tooth. (assembly of 32 tooth gear, 16 tooth gear and pins)

I saw the list of potential sources of SB parts here on the forum but assume that most of them are watching this forum and thought I would just send one e-mail request.
I sure hope I can find some reasonable quality replacements. or has anyone found equivalent gears in a standard gear catalog? what I really need is one 16 tooth pinion and one 32 tooth pinion.... I think I could press the old gear set apart and replace the damaged gear)
I sure hope I don't have to drag out my old Ellis dividing head and begin the process of learning how to cut gears!?!?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Chippuller

I have N.O.S. parts.
Send me an email:typing:
Ted
[email protected]

I'm a little curious about this failure. I believe there's a slipper clutch in the apron that prevents overloading the gearbox if the carriage is stopped. At least, on my Heavy 10, I can run the carriage against a stop and the drive clutch will slip, preventing damage. Many of the "Chicom" lathes do not have this feature and will tear up the gearbox and apron gearing if the carriage is stopped. The new South Bend lathes seem to include this overload protection where the similar Grizzly lathes do not. So how did the system get overloaded enough to tear up a couple of gears?

Back