What's new
What's new

Need some encouragement

jmdriller41

Aluminum
Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently acquired a free 14 1/2 heavy 10 with a 8 foot bed. I was pumped up, been going through it for last 3 days getting it all apart with no major set backs, having a blast learning al about the machine..... until today... the bearings for the undercarriage pulley had a little slop in them, and for a second i thought to myself, hell just oil them up and it will last for as long as you plan to live. but i talked myself into taking the carriage off and changing out those bearings. but while trying to drive out the pin the pully cracked on the shaft..... right now its just a small crack. disgusted i quit for the day to come in and cry in my beer how i had ruined a free ( freeish) project. I haven't got into the apron or the gearbox yet, and the the motor was gone, rewinding is 500$, need a cross slide thread, gib and gib screw, and a few small assorted washers from what i can tell so far. Any Advice? should i scrap the whole project? a quick internet search and a call to Grizzly didn't yield a replacement pulley. anyone got one i can tap dance for? :(

sorry a little back ground, i'm not a machinist in the least, just a guy who has a lot of time off and an inability to turn down free stuff no mater how much work it needs. I do a good bit of farm welding fixing things around the neighbor hood for local folks and thought a lathe and a mill would complement my little hobby fab shop.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently acquired a free 14 1/2 heavy 10 with a 8 foot bed. I was pumped up, been going through it for last 3 days getting it all apart with no major set backs, having a blast learning al about the machine..... until today... the bearings for the undercarriage pulley had a little slop in them, and for a second i thought to myself, hell just oil them up and it will last for as long as you plan to live. but i talked myself into taking the carriage off and changing out those bearings. but while trying to drive out the pin the pully cracked on the shaft..... right now its just a small crack. disgusted i quit for the day to come in and cry in my beer how i had ruined a free ( freeish) project. I haven't got into the apron or the gearbox yet, and the the motor was gone, rewinding is 500$, need a cross slide thread, gib and gib screw, and a few small assorted washers from what i can tell so far. Any Advice? should i scrap the whole project? a quick internet search and a call to Grizzly didn't yield a replacement pulley. anyone got one i can tap dance for? :(

Sounds bad, eh? But at least you didn't take the carriage off the machine, prop it up on a bench, and then have it tip over onto the concrete floor. That's a tough one to
come back from. Don't ask how that all happened.

Bent traverse handwheel shaft and a cracked apron. I would up reaming the bore in the cast iron up one size, made a larger diameter shaft (cut the pinion gear off and sliver
soldered it to the new shaft) and had the welder at work tig up the crack with nickel rod.

Hang in there. It will go back together.

So, you said 14 1/2 and Heavy 10, those are two different lathes, which do you have? also, which pulley did you crack? the big diameter one driven by the belt from the motor pulley?

allan

Sorry I’m a little, scratch that a lot, new this, the bed says 14 1/2 on it. But a guy at grizzly had told me to measure the OD of the head stock and told me heavy 10, but I may have misunderstood the conversation it appears, I haven’t gotten the card from southbend yet, I broke the big one today , ironically the bottom one was already broke when I got the machine, but in my mind that one wasn’t going to be that big a deal to find at the local belt house? Am I way off on that too?

Sorry I’m a little, scratch that a lot, new this, the bed says 14 1/2 on it. But a guy at grizzly had told me to measure the OD of the head stock and told me heavy 10, but I may have misunderstood the conversation it appears, I haven’t gotten the card from southbend yet, I broke the big one today , ironically the bottom one was already broke when I got the machine, but in my mind that one wasn’t going to be that big a deal to find at the local belt house? Am I way off on that too?

You don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. Because of this, we also have no clue of what you are talking about. TAKE PICTURES and post them to better explain what you are referring to in your posts. The only thing written on a SB bed was the serial number of the lathe. There is no such thing as a 14 1/2 Heavy 10. There was not a 8 foot bed for the Heavy 10. Depending on the year of the lathe, the model number should be on the plate for the QCGB. If it isn't there, look at the headstock end for a plate. The undercarriage and the carriage are two different items. The carriage doesn't have any pulleys, so you must be talking about the drive undercarriage. So, first things first, take a picture of your ENTIRE lathe and post it here so we can begin with a proper model number for your lathe. Once you have that, we can direct you to a book that will explain the disassembly of your particular model, so STOP EVERYTHING until you at least know your model number.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which pulleys you are talking about. Are these pulleys for flat belts? If you could post serial number (it's between the front ways at the tailstock end of the bed) and maybe some photos?
Here's a link to a parts list, you could even give us page numbers and part numbers out of it.
Cast iron brazes well, I've worked on lots of old machines that were repaired with braze way back in the day.

Sorry I’m a little, scratch that a lot, new this, the bed says 14 1/2 on it. But a guy at grizzly had told me to measure the OD of the head stock and told me heavy 10, but I may have misunderstood the conversation it appears

Sounds like you measured the chuck, not the headstock :)

allan

more pics

thumbnail.jpgIMG_2011.jpgIMG_1996.jpg

last one is a pic of were i cracked the pulley. doesn't appear to go all the way through. a better welder than me is gonna take a look at it for me, he has a loot of experience repairing old equipment at the machine shop he works at.

I just realized I posted wrong data plate pic, will post it when I fire computer up again tomorrow

Last edited:
Its a 14 1/2. Heavy 10's didn't use that size motor base, only 14 1/2 and 16's did. Measuring from ways to dead center of spindle should be like 7.25, giving you 14.5 swing.

That crack is not terrible at all. It's from outside to drilled hole, crack won't travel through pulley. Not sure id even bother welding it.
Rotate pulley 90 degrees to shaft. drill a new hole. buy a taper pin cutting tool for the appropriate size taper pin thats hammered in there, and basically ream by hand, not power tools, to match new drilled hole in pulley to existing hole in shaft. Or straight up drill both shaft and pulley 90 degrees from current hole, taper pin reamer, hammer new pin.

I'm guessing you already know that is not a straight pin, its tapered, hammer small side toward large side. If pin is trully screwed and won't move, drill a hole through center of it to relieve pressure.

An extra thought, what kind of bearing is on other side ? Roller bearing or is the cast itself the bearing ? There are two styles. Roller bearings have 3 screws holding them on I think.

That pulley is usually on like a son of a gun to the shaft. I'd drilled and tap 2 holes through pulley, on opposite sides of shaft, then use an H puller to get it off.

Back