What's new
What's new

New baldor motor hums

coyotechet

Cast Iron
Just installed on my Heavy 10 a brand new Baldor motor L3510M 1hp single phase 220 volt. The motor runs very smooth and vibration free but has a loud hum when running (not good). Can any thing be done to quiet down the hum?

Thanks Chet:scratchchin:

First thing I would do is check the motor to make sure all the fasteners are tight, particularly the bolts that hold the end bells against the center frame of the motor. Also make sure the mounting fasteners are tight and that something didn't get between the "feet" and the mount surface.

If nothing is loose, take the motor back out and run it on the bench or on the floor to see if it still has an objectionable hum.

It's possible but not likely on a US built motor that there is an electrical imbalance caused by unequal winding coil turn counts. That would be something you probably can't fix.

Just to go a bit further than the last post, badly wound or inadequately bound windings, stator coil loose, and loose laminations on stator and rotor all cause excessive noise. put it on a workbench on a rubber pad, and it should be virtually silent. and if it still makes what you consider to be excessive noise, might be time to take it back?

If it's a surplus motor that has sat for a long time it sometimes takes some "run-in" to redistribute the grease to the bearings...then they quiet down.

If it's a surplus motor that has sat for a long time it sometimes takes some "run-in" to redistribute the grease to the bearings...then they quiet down.

Like I said in my first post Brand New Baldor L3510M.

I have removed the motor and wired it up on the bench lots quieter. So I made a medium hard rubber pad to mount the motor on and now lots quieter. but still has a high pitch hum but is very live able.

Chet:):):)

Like I said in my first post Brand New Baldor L3510M.

I have removed the motor and wired it up on the bench lots quieter. So I made a medium hard rubber pad to mount the motor on and now lots quieter. but still has a high pitch hum but is very live able.

Chet:):):)

Check the nameplate. My most-recent Baldor was made in Mexico. The guts are not as "neat" as Baldor's used to be.

A 60 Hz hum, I would expect. A "high pitched" one is weird. That would have to be a mechanical/acoustic effect of something physically resonating at a higher-order harmonic of the 60 Hz.

If that "something" is an unrestrained lead, it may eventually fatigue and fail. Out of Warranty, of course!

"New" motor, reputable brand, return under warranty may be a boxing and shipping PITA, but you should NOT have to "chase" that sort of gremlin yourself. I'd contact them for an RMA number while still NEW and get the problem put behind.

OK Got the rubber pad under the motor and then I made some rubber washers to use between the mounting washers and the motor mount now it purr's like a kitten. Can stand a dime on end on the head stock and switch to start stop forward reverse many times with out the dime falling over. :) :cheers:
Chet

OK Got the rubber pad under the motor and then I made some rubber washers to use between the mounting washers and the motor mount now it purr's like a kitten. Can stand a dime on end on the head stock and switch to start stop forward reverse many times with out the dime falling over. :) :cheers:
Chet

Well if THAT "cured" it, it seems more likely that motor and/or pulley had just enough imbalance that the mounting plate or bolts were rubbing and your "high pitched" hum was actually a mechanically-induced friction-squeak, frequency related to resonance of the mounting plate, not the AC line!

So long is it is gone and good now, no matter.

Back