What's new
What's new

New guy here starting a refurb

Paul-Barber

Plastic
New here, thanks for the add.
I picked up a 1941 9c and it's been well taken care of. I'm not a machinest but have brought back to life a few '40s and '50s woodworking tools.
I've been scouring the forum and have a question on the use of the scotch brite pads. Some say use them, some say dont use them on the ways and other mating surfaces. My machine hasent been used in over 20 years and the oil on the ways looks like it turned to varnish. It's not rust. Using wd40 and a grey scotch brite a small section cleaned right up after an overnight soaking in the wd40.
After reading some say the scotch brite might leave an abrasive residue and others say use only non abrasive kitchen scrubbers, what's the opinion on those grey scotch brite pads. I've not had to be all that careful on old saw or drill press cast tables and such.

If it's just oil varnish use a degreaser (like 'greeze off') and some of the *blue* scotchrbite pads as they have no abrasive in them. Try not to get the degreaser on the paint... I haven't had any issues with it taking off the paint on more modern machines but better safe than sorry.

I would not use Scotch bright on ways..Oil can turn ways dark like gun blue.
For dials I use a fine flat file to just take the dent down to original surface and that is good enough... wanting them bright a fine abrasive paper.. Wire brush or scotch bright will round the edges of the numbers.

New here, thanks for the add.
I picked up a 1941 9c and it's been well taken care of. I'm not a machinest but have brought back to life a few '40s and '50s woodworking tools.
I've been scouring the forum and have a question on the use of the scotch brite pads. Some say use them, some say dont use them on the ways and other mating surfaces. My machine hasent been used in over 20 years and the oil on the ways looks like it turned to varnish. It's not rust. Using wd40 and a grey scotch brite a small section cleaned right up after an overnight soaking in the wd40.
After reading some say the scotch brite might leave an abrasive residue and others say use only non abrasive kitchen scrubbers, what's the opinion on those grey scotch brite pads. I've not had to be all that careful on old saw or drill press cast tables and such.

Grey as in ultra-fine?
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/03356565

I think you will be fine, just be sure to clean everything afterwards. I've regularly used maroon (very-fine) to clean things and never saw a problem.

Using an abrasive on your ways is a bad idea - especially since it's not necessary. The abrasive fines can get into the microstructure and remain, even after cleaning, so each time something goes over it, a tiny bit of metal is removed.

Anyway, if what you are trying to remove is just old way oil, then chemical removal is the correct ticket. Try more powerful solvents, like kerosene, diesel, mineral spirits, etc. These should have no problem removing the decades old oil.

Back