What's new
What's new

Leveling feet for 16 inch SB

barryw

Aluminum
I am ready to start the process of leveling my 16. I was wondering if anyone has found a nice solution that uses leveling feet (pads). DIY or purchased. The two holes in the under mount drive bell casting and the two holes in the tailstock end feet are obvious places to do this but I assume the original idea by SB was to anchor those 4 points to the floor which is not an option for me.
My gut is that feet will look/act flimsy but I’d like to ask the community to chime in.
As always, pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks
Barry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not like leveling feet. Cast iron is easily broken, particularly the ears on the right leg. I put metal shims under my lathes.

allan

Look in industrial supply catalogs. They sell horse shoe shaped shims that will do the job.If your floor is really bad you will need to make steel blocks to rough level the machine. Then you go to the horseshoe things to fine tune.Its a common process with heavy machinery.You will need a precision level that will indicate .001"/foot.The level is usually a borrow item.Once its level you're done.My 13 has been here for years and I have one of those levels.I have checked it a number of times and it hasnt moved.

Back