What's new
What's new

New lathe

Chicken Lights

Plastic
I just dragged home a South Bend 9” lathe. I don’t even know where to start putting it together.
It came with two flat belts, but the pulley on the motor is a V belt pulley.

Once I figure out how to post pictures on here I will.

Just make an imgur album, it’s easier honestly. Whatever you do please don’t use photobucket.

Just make an imgur album, it’s easier honestly. Whatever you do please don’t use photobucket.

Ok, I’ll check out imgur tonight. Thanks

It’s serial number 70677. 9 inch with a 3 1/2 foot bed. It’s pretty complete, from what I can tell.

The one belt looks like a Honda timing belt, the other one looks like a serpentine belt from a car.

The motor turns freely but just smokes when I plug it in, doesn’t matter how I wire the plug.

Everything on the lathe half looks good, everything turns, I don’t see anything broken or abused.

Will this have an internal gearbox with oil that needs changing? I didn’t see any drain plugs or fill plugs

If it’s anything like my old 13” there should be 2 oil cups on the headstock, one near each bearing. A little below there would be two 1/8” NPT plugs that can be removed to drain the oil. There’s nothing really that has an oil reservoir per say, the headstock and apron are really the only places that hold oil. Everything else uses oil wicks that rely on the user to ensure the oil is topped off on them.

The motor probably needs to be rewound if it’s smoking when plugged in. Is that happening before you turn the switch on? Are you running the correct voltage for the motor? Did it come with a plug on it or was it bare wire ends and you put the plug on it?

Can’t be much help with the belts if your step pulley is set up for V belts. What style is it? Is the motor under the headstock, behind it, or above it?

Those pictures would help tremendously.

If it’s anything like my old 13” there should be 2 oil cups on the headstock, one near each bearing. A little below there would be two 1/8” NPT plugs that can be removed to drain the oil. There’s nothing really that has an oil reservoir per say, the headstock and apron are really the only places that hold oil. Everything else uses oil wicks that rely on the user to ensure the oil is topped off on them.

The motor probably needs to be rewound if it’s smoking when plugged in. Is that happening before you turn the switch on? Are you running the correct voltage for the motor? Did it come with a plug on it or was it bare wire ends and you put the plug on it?

Can’t be much help with the belts if your step pulley is set up for V belts. What style is it? Is the motor under the headstock, behind it, or above it?

Those pictures would help tremendously.

How do you find my imgur account?
Newsouthbendlathe24

I don’t have a switch for the motor. I wired a plug up to the two bare wires.

The motor is a 110V motor, 1/4 hp

Learn how to post pictures here ,saves lots of time going to links,and if the link goes bad pictures will still be here! Throw the timing belt away!! You use a regular V belt that fits the groove on the motor and the inside drives the big CS pulley from the inside. Weird but that is how SB did it ! As for me I normally won't be bothered to go to a link to view pictures,but for you being new I did.
PS that's a oldy with the top oilers.And forget about rewinding that motor ,just buy a emplacement as even new it will be a lot cheaper than rewinding even if you can get done.

Learn how to post pictures here ,saves lots of time going to links,and if the link goes bad pictures will still be here! Throw the timing belt away!! You use a regular V belt that fits the groove on the motor and the inside drives the big CS pulley from the inside. Weird but that is how SB did it ! As for me I normally won't be bothered to go to a link to view pictures,but for you being new I did.
PS that's a oldy with the top oilers.

I will see if I can figure out how to post pictures here then, I’m obviously new here.

How do I go about sourcing the correct belts?

Thanks

Ok.... how do I do that? I’m not sure if I’m missing something on how to post pics here

in the utilities bar at the top of the window you get when posting, there is a tree in a frame. click on that and then you can select an image from your computer and upload it. I send them form my phone to my laptop then select them, but there is another way that results in nice full size images so you don't have to click on them, but I haven't done it that way yet. someone posted how to do it, but for some reason either I didn't try hard enough, or it was some kind of OS incompatibility.

(yea, I'll blame it on that!! :D)

quote {How do I go about sourcing the correct belts?}
Goto McMaster-Carr catalog
Click on V belts
Goto the information page on V belts
Read how to measure and order V belts
Hope this helps some..

Back