What's new
What's new

New Lathe Bed

rustngreese

Plastic
I am planning to replace my worn South Bend lathe bed with a better one that I have. I know I have to realign the headstock with the ways and tailstock but what is necessary to use my existing saddle? Is it necessary to scrape it or will it do ok as is? Thanks, Randy

Most of the time a saddle from one bed will not fit another, they were matched at the factory.

If your bed is worn in the middle... realize the bed is semi-steel and very hard... the saddle is cast iron and soft... the saddle wears 5 times faster then the bed

Ed S

Thanks for the reply Ed. I guess I will have to play around with the saddle a bit to see if I can use it. If not I will have to just use my old worn bed a bit longer. Thanks, Randy

the headstock will usually require no fitting as it locates itself on a single v way. i have swapped headstocks with no issues a few times.
same for the tailstock except that unlike the headstock they are usually worn and need fitting regardless.

saddles are a different story- they locate on 2 v ways so fit to a particular bed becomes critical. ideally you would want to have the saddle that originally came with the new bed.

however, i`m sure that if you post you need a saddle fitted to a bed someone will come to your aid.

Getting a Grizzly G0752.....Wondering if it's a good idea to make one pass scraping (cross hatch pattern) on a brand new lathe....just to create some spaces for oil....and help prevent future wear...

Or spreading some say 120 grit carborundom on the ways and sliding the carraige over it one time, again to create oil spaces.

Totally outside the box thinking here of course.......lol

z

Not a south bend... brochure says hardened and ground bed, don’t scrape it. Don’t put an abrasive on it either, it could get embedded in the saddle and do a lot of damage. Tool post grinders are notorious for doing this and destroying beds pretty quickly if prep and cleaning isn’t done properly.

My guess is the bottom of the saddle has some provisions for some oil retention. Or it’s just an expendable lathe.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Thank you !

Ah.......didn't see that it was a hardened bed.....

When I get it I'll check to see what kind of oiling provisions there are in the saddle. Maybe scrape that?....

Just wanted to do anything preventive against wear that I can while it's new.....

Thanks again

z

I’m the proud papa of the Grizzly 10/22 G0602 lathe. Not a major production lathe to be sure but I’m able to make tractor parts for my 70+ year old fleet and make very precise steel, copper, brass, zinc and lead parts for furniture hardware several hundred years old and needing very exact matched parts. People that see your work (if it doesn’t match the original) don’t pay..
To your question Grizzly will void your warranty If you score the ways or saddle (or any surface) that has already been precision ground to hold proper way oil to the surface as is when you receive it. Though it appears gloss polished fit and finish if you get a backlit 120X microscope you can see machine marks that are there to channel way oil consistently and prevent excess wear. In fact I stepped up the way oil viscosity 1 step for extra stickiness without gumming but that’s as far as I would go in protecting the surfaces.

Thanks Legamin!.......That sounds good that they have oil channels!....So I won't have to worry about excess wear.....Good idea on the increase in viscosity ....

z

Back